PDA

View Full Version : Router??

misogi
18th February 2005, 12:33 PM
I am looking for a woodturner that uses a C & C or CNC router.
Any woodturning companies in NSW that use these?

Thanks
misogi

Zed
18th February 2005, 02:41 PM
yeah, probably hundereds of them. try www.yellowpages.com.au

misogi
18th February 2005, 03:06 PM
Yehh I have been through it. You interested in tryingto make these wooden swords?

I need them in Gidgee, Tas oak, Spotted gum, Hickory, jarrah and bluegum

misogi

Zed
18th February 2005, 03:11 PM
I thought of giving you a call but I've had another idea, there are plenty of blokes who are capable of making these things... why dont you post your plans and we can all have a gander and see it we want to make them. For myself I think that I would be charging you at least $60 for these little suckers... theres a fair bit if work involved let alone timber procurement.

for example if these swords are the scimitar variety (Ie curved) then thats a fair bit of timber that needs to be used - timber aint cheap. if you post the dimensions then we can have ourselves a little bidding war.

I hope I didnt inconvenience you or lead you on. as I said Im happy to make 'em but I aint working for free...

cheers

misogi
18th February 2005, 03:26 PM
well have a peek at this guy's work and pics

http://www.templegatedojo.org.uk/articles/Bokken.pdf

The swords are a nip over 1mtr, If more details of dimensions are needed I will add the in a bit, or you might get an idea from the pics.

(bidding war) god hope its a downwards spiral bidding war

Cheers Zed

RETIRED
18th February 2005, 10:07 PM
IMHO it is probably worth about 4 or more hours work. I charge $60/ hour, so you are looking at $240.00 plus materials.

You will be lucky to get Gidgee that big.

$60 is looking cheap.

Woodlice
19th February 2005, 02:46 AM
Damn, last time I needed a bokken I paid $22 from Jan De Jong in Perth. That was about 6 months ago. As for quality, the most I have ever seen charged for a 'quality' Bokken is around $150 (in Spotted Gum, White Oak or what ever.)

Dont wanna miser you out of a living or anything, but if this is a sword to be training with, then thats a rip. Even for it to hang and collect dust. It would wanna be something very special.

J!

bitingmidge
19th February 2005, 07:59 AM
Hey Woodlice,

I am assuming you are referring to 's estimate as a "rip". And I assume that you mean by that, that you think there's a bit of exploitaion factor in the estimate of cost?

Tell me where please- because I've made quite a few odd shaped items, and my first instinct was that 's time was pretty spot-on, depending on the level of finish... 4 hours "or more"?

Or for the exercise, how about YOU make one, record the hours you spent and come back and tell us what it's worth.

I've never had a need for a bokken, and don't think I ever will, but at $22.00 it might be a cheap way of buying timber for other projects!!

Cheers,

P

Woodlice
19th February 2005, 01:29 PM
Nah, like I said I didnt wanna step on toes. I was just suggesting that it would be cheaper to buy them rather than have some one make them. Mind you it could be cheaper to make them oneself. Sourcing the wood may take time.

I'd say time is relative. As a hobbiest my time is worth infinitely more than $60ph. As a consultant in other matters though, I would charge almost double.

J!

Ianab
19th February 2005, 02:19 PM
Making complex 3D wooden shapes by hand is going to take time, no way around that.

I'd suggest the commercial ones have been roughed out mass production style with a CNC cutter and then hand finished. The $22 dollar one is probably just roughed out ;)

Another option would be something like this gadget.

http://www.copycarver.com/index.htm

If that let you finish the thing in an hour, then you are down in the $100 range for a well made piece

Ian

Woodlice
19th February 2005, 08:24 PM
Rough or not, they certainly look good. And they dont break when you try (not poof around) really try to take someones head off with it.

22 bucks is good enough for me. But if you want something fancy with all the grain looking like it sticks out two feet then there is no getting away from it I guess..

J!