PDA

View Full Version : My wood art clock.

Sturdee
22nd April 2012, 05:32 PM
At the recent Wood, Steel and Steam festival organised by the Eastern Woodturners at Mt. Delancey homestead I was lucky enough to get a wedge cut of a big log by the slabbing demonstrators.

As I had bought various clock, thermometer and barometer insert mechanisms about 6 years ago from Carroll's I finally found a suitable piece of wood to use them.

After 2 days of hand planing, sanding and drilling I finished it with 5 coats of danish oil before fitting the inserts.

It now takes a place of honour in our lounge adjacent to the TV where I can look at it whilst watching the TV.

Here are some photos.

The front:

The back:

The side view:

I know it has taken some time to finish this project but remember Rome wasn't built in a day and I've had a few more important things to do in the mean time.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Acco
22nd April 2012, 06:15 PM
:2tsup:

Ticky
23rd April 2012, 08:16 PM
That looks really great Pete.

I like the natural edge / back. It looks great.

Well Done.

Steve

Sturdee
23rd April 2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Yesterday I picked up some wood from the side of the road as a gum tree had been cut down. The piece, although no good for turning, had a lovely bump sticking out at one side so I cut that of and making another one.

Just the right size for the remaining clock and thermometer. Will post photos when finished.

Peter.

Sturdee
1st May 2012, 10:41 PM
Last week I saw a tree cut down for firewood and looking at it carefully I found a nice piece that, if cut from the larger bulk, would make a nice clock.

After sanding, drilling and giving it lots of coats of danish oil it came up like this.

Front view:

Side view:

It's very heavy and will make a nice present for my non woodworking daughter.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Sturdee
1st May 2012, 10:56 PM
At the recent forum get together at 's to celebrate Cliff's Invasion we got some Coastal Banksia pieces from Springwater. Michelle confiscated them and made some clocks as well.

The first bit was an odd shaped knob which when cut in half made a couple of lovely clocks as you can see:

and it's twin

We also got a small L shaped kinda crooked coastal banksia branch which made a lovely small clock set:

And she also made one from a small tree of cut from a tree at her work that "attacked" her as it was dying. So when it was cut down she got her revenge and made a clock out of it.

All clocks were finished with Minwax Antique Oil and Ubeaut's trad wax. Thanks Craig for the donation of the timber and apart from some help in the cutting and drilling were all made by her.

Enjoy.

Peter.