View Full Version : Teknatool Nova Comet II Midi Lathe Web special

ClintO
24th April 2012, 02:49 PM
Carbatec have a web special on until 28 April that seriously interests me:

Teknatool Nova Comet II Midi Lathe Plus TK-G3 chuck FREE
Special pricing until 28/04/2012
For $699
This have electronic variable speed

I am not familiar with it, Is this s good lathe for the money. Its not much more than a Woodfast M305 without electronic speed change or a chuck.

I want it as an "odds & ends" machine, not doing a lot of turning

Big Shed
24th April 2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/its-here-151535/

ClintO
24th April 2012, 05:26 PM
I have a feeling I wont be getting one
I cant see this review and a Google search has yielded only a Youtube sales vido from a US WW show

I cant even get the Teknatool website up to see the sales info

Big Shed
24th April 2012, 05:56 PM
The review in the other thread is a pdf file so you will need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it.

I had no trouble getting to the Teknatool site page for the Comet lathe

NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe (http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/CometII/Nova_CometII.htm)

There is alink there to downloaad/view the product brochre as well.

ClintO
25th April 2012, 02:58 PM
Software is not my problem, I have tried 3 different browsers and still cannot open the site or the document
It has been years since I have not been able to access a site like this
I guess I wont be buying one after all :(

hughie
26th April 2012, 10:49 AM
I also find the link is not good. It reverts me back to the title page.

Teknatool Nova Comet II Midi Lathe : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/teknatool-nova-comet-ii-midi-lathe_c22167)

got my info from here

Big Shed
26th April 2012, 11:09 AM
Here is the brochure downloaded from the Teknatool site in my link above.

deedinky
21st August 2012, 10:48 AM
I recently bought one of these lathes, like anything there are good and bad points.
For what it was designed for it works well. If you want to turn mainly harder woods over say 150mm then get a bigger lathe. It will work but for larger sizes 3/4 hp motor is not powerful enough. It will work ok but you have to go slow. For mainly smaller diameters it is great.
I found the speed sticker around the electronic speed knob to be accurate but the knob was not put on aligned with the sticker. This was easily fixed and I contacted Teknatool who replied quickly and they have contacted the factory. Good backup.
I like the reverse feature, it really does help with sanding:)
Not sure why they chose a motor with brushes rather than brushless, maybe it makes the speed control cheaper. You are getting a pretty good lathe for the price.
Apart from wishing the motor had another half hp, I find it hard to fault.
I am only a beginer turner, please keep that in mind.
Don

Mobyturns
21st August 2012, 11:05 AM
The Comets should be a competent lathe for their capacity. I've used its smaller sibling the Mercury (1/2hp) for something like 8 or 9 years now. It has been an excelent lathe but eventually the VS unit died approx 18 months back. Unlike the poster above Teknatool were not very helpfull at all in assisting with sourcing parts because the Mercury now discontinued. It now sports a modified VS unit of another brand.

NCPaladin
22nd August 2012, 03:33 AM
For those in the US.... Amazon $415 and free shipping. Introductory Offer with the free attachment base for outboard.
Amazon.com: NOVA 46000LO Comet II Midi Lathe with Limited Edition Launch Offer: Home Improvement