PDA

View Full Version : milling vise

tanii51
24th April 2012, 07:04 PM
went shopping for a milling vise and found this 120mmx210mm swivel
no name but it looks interesting and i paid for it :2tsup:
they have 1/2 a dozen BIG shaper vises there to ( too big for me)
i wonder if any one knows what make it is
it looks like the end jaw is reversable
john

matthew_g
24th April 2012, 07:26 PM
Nice vice...
I have no idea of the make, But I am sure it will provide many years of service for you.
Matt

steran50
24th April 2012, 07:36 PM
HI:),
Looks like a Good Vice, I don't know the Brand either. Your Vice has some similarities to this Vice V311 | Modular Machine Vice | machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/V311) .

Stustoys
24th April 2012, 07:40 PM
Hi John,
Looks good

Looks like the fixed jaw can slide on the swivel base? that could handy............ I dont have one of those :rolleyes:
Also can you take the fixed jaw off and then clamp the slide vertically on the swivel base? and it looks like you can clamp it on its side to the table.

Stuart

tanii51
24th April 2012, 07:42 PM
yes steran it looks very similar to your link with the addition of a swivel base the price tag makes me feel much better for what i paid for:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
john

Dave J
24th April 2012, 07:53 PM
Great score,
I talked Eskimo into getting one like that from Asset, the only trouble was the price jumped from $550 to $900 by the time I wanted to buy one, LOL

I think his has springs that hold the jaws up a little and the holes in the jaws are slotted, so it has a pull down action when you tighten it up.

Dave

tanii51
24th April 2012, 08:18 PM
hmm thanks for the replies i think its a bit of an over kill for my rf25 but hey its mine now
its outside under a rug for the night so ill have to wait till daylight to see what happens when i pull it to pieces( for cleaning purposes only)
any more replies welcome
john

Bryan
24th April 2012, 11:12 PM
John it looks a nice bit of gear but how do you bolt it down? I can't see any holes in the base. :?

Ueee
24th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Thats a nice looking vice, should be very handy. I like the fact that the screw is towards the top half of the jaw. This should stop the jaw lifting.
Nicely spotted Bryan, maybe Hope and good faith holds it down?

Stustoys
24th April 2012, 11:43 PM
John it looks a nice bit of gear but how do you bolt it down? I can't see any holes in the base. :?
Whats wrong with a boring old clamp set?
(though really I think I'd make some special clamps so the vice could rotate without having to move clamps. As I'm not sure there is room for a full nut under the rotating part)

Stuart

Dave J
24th April 2012, 11:54 PM
I would be taking the base off it, but thats me.
These vises are held down by little hold down lugs like the small vises you buy, and they go into the slots on the sides. They are a sort of L shape laid on it's side. Maybe the base was designed to use the same clamps as you would have them already for the vise.

Dave

tanii51
25th April 2012, 09:32 AM
well spotted Bryan it wasn't till i got it home i realized that there isn't any slots but Ive got a set of hold down clamps that will do the trick . its going to be a squeeze cos the foot print of the base is almost as big as the mill table
just goes to show you should look past the shiny bits before buying but im sure i will make it work.if necessary i can always remove the swivel base if not i bet theres a few buyers lining up for what i paid for it :U
might pull it to bits today for cleaning and see how it works
john

tanii51
25th April 2012, 02:04 PM
after a cleanup nothing damaged or broken:2tsup:

4-6-4
25th April 2012, 07:21 PM
Greetings Chaps, I used a vice with a similar fasting method for the movable jaw, ie the half round holes in the base. This was at Nestles where I worked on Xmas Shut downs. it looks similar but the one I used was the best vice I have used. On this one the fixed jaw could be removed and another shaped jaw fitted. The fixed jaw was keyed and screwed so there was little chance of it moving. If I had this vice and the mill on which it went would allow it, I would make a sub table with the conventional bolt down screws and a key slot for positioning it on the table. The sub table would only need to be about 1/2 inch plate wash ground. This would remove the need to square the vice each time it went onto the table. What do you think. Yours 4-6-4