PDA

View Full Version : Short description of Seated Turning.

Penpal
24th April 2012, 08:25 PM
Just finished replacing the bearings after many many years on the VL100 removed the accumulation of tools etc.

The heavy frame for the bench is welded (by me) topped with a 30mm laminated top.

Vl mounted on the top with the belt drive out the head stock to the three phase motor also on the top rear to keep the safety.

Fitted a variable speed 240v to 415v brown box on the left.

The table on the right is to hold the pen press and buffer at eye height when seated. Four drawers in front under the table.

Control panel for power.

Under the lathe bench a cyclone contained in a steel drum (recycled paper in another life)

The seat is an architects chair. The drawer on the right invaluable for tools etc.

Kind regards Peter.:2tsup:

bdar
24th April 2012, 08:53 PM
Peter, a far better set up than mine for seated turning mate. I find being able to turn pens seated more comfortable. Now if I can configure a lounge chair set up.

Pariss
24th April 2012, 09:08 PM
Gee Peter, your set up is amazing. As we all get older, we look at ways of keeping our much loved hobbies and interests 'do-able'. Rather than just give into our health problems and limitations due to age or disablement, the true mark of a champion is the way they over come and solve problems and continue to make the most of and enjoy life to the fullest. Thanks for inspiring all of us aging pen turners and wood workers Peter. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

bench1holio
24th April 2012, 10:02 PM
youll be lounging out ther all day long now mate :D :2tsup:

plantagenon
24th April 2012, 10:29 PM
Great setup Peter. Everything is at hand and that is excellent. I have often thought how it would be possible to still use the lathe if one became a paraplegic, for example. Then I thought about designing a lift chair to allow for the hobby to continue. To every problem there is a solution. Great work

artme
24th April 2012, 11:41 PM
Convenience corner!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

edblysard
25th April 2012, 09:45 AM
My oh my, is that an Arbor press I see there?:o
Great set up Peter, like the cyclone too....3 phase power with 415 volts....wow.