PDA

View Full Version : old planes

John Saxton
26th June 2000, 05:54 PM
Does anybody have any ideas about the preservation of the old style wooden moulding planes?Would Linseed oil be sufficient in it's natural form or would it need to be reduced with a thinner in order to enhance penetration throughout.
I had the good fortune to pick up about 15 moulding planes from a second hand dealer whilst on a recent visit to New Zealand but he could not advise me on the preservation of them.Thanks in anticipation of your comments

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
26th June 2000, 08:47 PM
It depends what you're going to do with them. If you just want to stick them on a shelf, then clean them up with metho and 0000 steel wool and coat them with shellac or similar. If, however, you want to use them or just lovingly fondle them from time to time, then clean them up as above but then coat them with beeswax or, even better, one of the many beeswax mixes, like Porter's Stucco Wax. If you coat them with linseed, they'll go tacky and dry out really quickly, I've found. Rick

John Saxton
30th June 2000, 12:03 PM
Thanks for that Rick,I have done as you suggested and have them stored as I am building a collection of the older type planes.Much as I would like to use these planes in an appropriate functional manner I believe I would have to go through the whole process every time I used one to put it back in storage.In so saying that I do have my assortment of regular hand planes and shaping devices that fulfil my needs.
Would there be any requirement to have to re-do them from time to time say annually due to any degradation in respect to humidity dust etc?
Cheers

------------------
Johnno

DonN
30th June 2000, 05:59 PM
John
If you ever want to sell them again dont coat them with anything. Just use light oil on the blade, and just wipe the body with a clean rag.
If you destroy the original finish it makes them worth less to antique dealers.
DonN

RFNK
30th June 2000, 08:24 PM
I don't agree with Don. Lots of old planes etc have really dried out and are really prone to absorbing moisture. If they absorb moisture they go spotty from fungi. The beauty of beeswax is that it provides protection against drying and moisture without destroying the original finish, if you want to maintain that original finish. Plenty of the old joiners etc used beeswax to protect their gear anyway. And yes, beeswax isn't very durable. You will need to add just a little bit more and rub it in every couple of years, depending on the conditions where you keep your old planes. Personally, I like old planes to touch, rub in wax and so on, and to use, if possible. That's the fun of having them. Rick

John Saxton
30th June 2000, 09:53 PM
Thank-you gentlemen for your comments but hey is'nt what this is all about! It's good to get a healthy cross selection of input and definately what any forum needs and though I'm up there with in the antique stakes I still consider myself to be learning in regards all facets of woodworking and I personally value all comments put forward. WHO knows I may learn something hence my immediate attachment to this forum and to all of you out there that have input.

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
1st July 2000, 08:22 PM
Hey John, 'll have you kicked off the bulletin board if you keep saying things like that about him. Give the poor ol' fellow a break! Rick

RETIRED
2nd July 2000, 01:03 AM
OI, not too much of the old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"