PDA

View Full Version : Year 12 major work - Sanding solid timber

azza94
25th April 2012, 10:28 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site and not 100% sure if this is where I was meant to post this question (sorry if it isn't)

Anyway down to business. I am a current year 12 student and for my major work I am making an out door kitchen. I just had a few questions about sanding solidtimber.

The material i'm using is 20mm thick Jarrah. Now my joining mythod is a little unorthodox, and may appear confusing. I have joined 31 pieces together face on face (There are 10 in total all in varying lengths)
As you would expect there are a few machining marks, and spots due to glueing. Along with a few uneven edges because of cramping.

Was just wondering how I should tackle sanding this job? I used an orbital sander with 80 grit garnet papaer and was able to remove any marks but it turned out uneven which will be a major issue when it comes to finishing my project.

Sshould I just send it all through a drum sander to save myself time?

3 toed sloth
25th April 2012, 11:29 PM
Hi Azza,

Sanding may not be the best option to flatten your glued up section, but I suppose it depends what you have access to. I would start by flattening one side with a hand plane or even better on a jointer. Once one side is dead flat you can then feed the piece through a thicknesser or a drum sander, as you mentioned, or flatten the other side with a hand plane also.

Whatever you decide, enjoy it and don't stress out.:) Good luck with your project.

Regards,
Peter

azza94
25th April 2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the reply Peter.

I thought of planing but It is something I have little experience in and my teacher adivsed against it as I am rather inexperienced ( still might give it an attempt though). Althought I do have a thicknesser available at school it doesent actually have the space to fit most pieces of my project (small sized thicknesser and rather large project!)

Scott
26th April 2012, 12:02 AM
I'm with Peter, Planing with a hand plane would achieve a far superior result than sanding. Use a decent Jack plane first then a smoother.

However, if you start with 80 grit, follow it up with subsequent grits, EG sand with 80g, then 120g, 180g, 240g, 320g and finally 400g. This way you'll achieve a nice smooth surface. You won't get an even surface though, you'll achieve that with a plane, electric if you couldn't be bothered with a hand plane.

azza94
26th April 2012, 07:49 PM
Turns out when the plane your using is good quality with a sharp blade it's a breeze to sand solid timber.
Thanks for the great advice I was able to achive a even finish that I smothed down by using 120 grit on a sanding block.
Any advice on correct planing in case I have don it wrong?