PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hollow Piece

Skewturn
25th April 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi All
I know that its not a proper hollow form but I got to use my new Sorby hollowing tool for the first time. It took a little getting used to because I couldnt see what I was doing but the feel comes to you. The tool I used was Sovereign System with a Extra Long Hollowmaster incl. a hollowing tip and a finishing scraper Robert Sorby (http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/) Im not trying to sell them it just so someone who hasnt seen one can look. One thing I didnt expect was I had to take the headstock off even though my Nova lathe has a bed extension. This tool is very long. So I thought I would start with something a bit simplier where if I hacked up the inside no one would see it. I thought it would be simple but I didnt take into account how much I would have to remove and I picked a harder timber (unsure of type of timber I think its Jarrah but if anyone has any ideas feel free) but had lots of fun. I was a welder but I've been 'turned'.:2tsup: Here is a couple of photos of a Coffee mug I know all of that for a coffee mug hey I love coffee.
Cheers happy turning:U

cookie48
26th April 2012, 01:27 AM
You will enjoy drinking out of that one for sure. Well done.

dr4g0nfly
26th April 2012, 06:23 AM
It looks great, but can I ask a question

How do you wash it up without damaging the wood?

Scott
26th April 2012, 09:53 AM

Good question. I reckon if you finished it with CA then things should be okay. That would be dependent upon getting a good seal between the edge of the cup and timber.

wood hacker
26th April 2012, 10:33 AM

I've made a couple of these now and always finish inside and out with a few layers of WOP before glueing in the metal insert. I don't fully immerse them in water but it has proved adequate protection for the water that does get on the timber during washing them out.

cheers
WH

Sturdee
26th April 2012, 10:44 AM
I've made a couple of these now and always finish inside and out with a few layers of WOP before glueing in the metal insert. I don't fully immerse them in water but it has proved adequate protection for the water that does get on the timber during washing them out.

cheers
WH

That's what I used as well for the ones I made.

Peter.

Skewturn
26th April 2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. It is coated with a celulose laquor but I dont wet the outside
I just put a splash of soapy water in there and wash, then dry straight away. But I am open to new ways to seal the wood so a bit of water wont hurt it. Also what is WOP ?

Cheers Skewturn:U

Scott
26th April 2012, 10:40 PM
Also what is WOP ?

Wipe On Poly.

Click here for information.
(http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/interior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-wipeon-poly)
You can get it from the Big Green Shed :)

Christos
27th April 2012, 01:26 AM
Well done. :2tsup:

Skewturn
2nd May 2012, 01:11 AM
Thanks sjt. I looked at youre link I might have to try some WOP because the poly that I am using is the stuff you paint on with a brush out of a paint tin and its not that good for turning good for garden furniture though.
Cheers

greyhound
2nd May 2012, 08:01 PM
i make quite a few of these .
My method to seal effectively is to turn a small tenon to fit up under the top rim edge .
When ready to assemble run a small bead of silastic under the top rim where the tenon will fit into.I also add a good quality expaning foaming water proof glue to the inside of the turned vesell and clamp it all up.
Finish with a coat of penertrol (a penetrating oil) and 2 coats of spray on marine satin varnish (available from the big green shed)
Have been using one now for 2 years with no problems at all even with the odd dunking.

m.t
2nd May 2012, 08:14 PM
skewturn looks good :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
i made 1 out off london plain finished in danish oil wash every day no problems 1 slight crack when i dropped it ...

Skewturn
3rd May 2012, 09:28 PM
i make quite a few of these .
My method to seal effectively is to turn a small tenon to fit up under the top rim edge .
When ready to assemble run a small bead of silastic under the top rim where the tenon will fit into.I also add a good quality expaning foaming water proof glue to the inside of the turned vesell and clamp it all up.
Finish with a coat of penertrol (a penetrating oil) and 2 coats of spray on marine satin varnish (available from the big green shed)
Have been using one now for 2 years with no problems at all even with the odd dunking.

Thanks for the info This being my first attempt I didnt even glue it. It is a snug fit and screwed in on the bottom. I have printed out your plan and I will try it and get back to you.
Cheers:U

Thanks m.t for the nice comments