PDA

View Full Version : Dried out super glue

Tiger
25th April 2012, 11:53 PM
I bought 2 bottles of super glue one thin, one thick a few months ago. They were both stored together in a cool part of the garage. The thick one which I have only used a few drops from has gone hard, is there anything that can be done for it? I don't expect anything can be done but in case there is, please let me know.
Thin one is fine, guess the other one might be older stock.

Master Splinter
26th April 2012, 02:26 AM
Nothing you can do with it once it has hardened.

I keep mine in a tupperware container in the fridge, with a layer of silica gel in the bottom of the box (steal a handful of those white/blue crystals from the cat's litter box, preferably before the cat has used them!). Doing this seems to extend the life of one of the multi pack $2 Shop tubes (my casual usage CA) to at least 6 months from opening.

Note. Keep the 'good stuff' in a ziploc bag inside the container, so when you take it out of the box to use for the day you can let it come up to room temperature without getting condensation on the bottle. (Water sets CA)

dr4g0nfly
26th April 2012, 06:35 AM
Unusual for superglue to go off like that although it does happen.

The only thing I've found to help it flow a little easier is drop the bottle in a cup of hot water, the temperature rise helps thin it.

Do you use an accelerator with it? Strange as it sounds I've found even keeping the accelerator nearby makes mine go off quickly. So I've consigned it to the far end of the shelf.

hughie
26th April 2012, 10:42 AM
If you keep your super glue aka CA in and airtight container with plenty of silca jel it will last for darn near forever... well a long time anyway, way longer than normal. :)

Tiger
26th April 2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks boys, I'll remember this for next time.
Hughie, with your suggestion, is it necessary to put it in the fridge?

issatree
26th April 2012, 12:10 PM
Hi All,
I've posted this before, but may have been missed by some.

My Loctite 401, sits in a small bowl, no lid, Lays at approx. 30 Deg. Summer, W, A, Spring.
Never goes off, but is Slow when the Bottle is almost finished.
How could I ever use another Product, with Excellence like that.

hughie
26th April 2012, 08:15 PM
with your suggestion, is it necessary to put it in the fridge

Not really but then if you have a frost free fridge it wouldnt hurt. I would probably store it in a coolish place anyway.

Basically you want as little moisture around CA as you can get

Loctite ® 401 (http://www.loctite.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_aue/hs.xsl/3423_AUS_HTML.htm?countryCode=aue&BU=industrial&parentredDotUID=productfinder&redDotUID=10000009R0G)

I reckon Issatree your local area is as dry as a bone :U