PDA

View Full Version : Make a router table out of the 2000?

eugene
26th April 2012, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

I have a 2000 table saw and want a decent router table too ..... only I'm stuck for storage room, so I need something demountable.

The thought occurred that it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to utilise the 2000 stand and fit an MDF table to it. I've even got a spare MkIII slide that I could utilise to hold the router.

Has anyone done this? Any thoughts?

Regards

Eug

(BTW I'm not entirely new here, you fellows sourced a table saw guard for me some time back.)

wood86
26th April 2012, 07:06 PM
would this work?

Triton Tools | | RTA300 | Precision Router Table (http://www.tritontools.com/Product/330100)

A Duke
26th April 2012, 09:41 PM
You could also look out for a second hand 2000 router table, it preceded the RTA300 and is not as fancy but they were both designed for the 2000 work centre.
Regards

eugene
27th April 2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks boys, I didn't realise the wheel had already been invented!!

I'll price the new stuff and check out the second hand ones too.

Eug

wood86
27th April 2012, 02:28 AM
Check out Argos and Homebase for the RTA300

bpj1968
27th April 2012, 09:45 AM
It would be quite easy to do, but I would mount the router to the MDF, without the chassis.
You could pack out the 2000 fence with 2 pieces of wood, one in front and one behind the cutter. Look at the Mk3 video that was posted recently to see what i mean.

I have the 2000 router table and although good there a are a few niggling issues with it as it has several pieces at the same level to make the flat top. only one of these needs to be out a touch and it is a problem. I also had the earlier series top and it was better, although limited

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th April 2012, 01:23 PM
:whs:

I'm not too impressed with the 2000 router table,. They seem to have lost the plot in all the "features" they bunged on, to their own detriment. :(

An MDF top on the existing workcentre would be better IMHO.

Chrism3
28th April 2012, 11:28 AM
The original 2000 router top being spoken of has no 'features' - it's just a plain top with an 'ole.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th April 2012, 12:22 PM
The original 2000 router top being spoken of has no 'features' - it's just a plain top with an 'ole.

Sorry, didn't make myself clear: I was referring to the WC2000 router table (RTA300) shown in the link by wood86.

Mine fell to pieces within the first month with minimal usage; the spot welds on the front bar were little more than tacks and one end came adrift.

The inserts were rubbish, sitting unevenly proud of the router panel... which itself sat proud of the main table!

I did like the fence and the adjustable dc shroud though.

But the added features were definitely not worth the dillydaddling it took to get a piece to feed thru smoothly over all those damned humps'n'bumps. The one-piece design router table for the ol' Mk3 Workcentre was far superior in terms of easy accuracy.

FWIW, I had it replaced as "faulty goods" but the replacement was identical. :C I like most of the Triton range, but the RTA300? :no:

perthwoody
30th April 2012, 09:33 PM
I like my RTA300 but I do agree about the inserts not sitting flush. If anyone is interested in one, Amazon UK say they will ship one for $184 all inc. How this is posible I don't know!

Chrism3
1st May 2012, 12:25 AM
The track that holds the inserts is height adjustable.

smokin
3rd June 2012, 11:28 AM
Eugene

I put a router table together for my WC2000 several years ago, I have found it to be reliable and simple to change from saw bench to router table - takes about a minute. I have utilized the saw bench fence to attach my router fence to. I posted some pics a couple of years ago on this site.

Hope these addresses work

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f15/gmc-1500w-router-micrometer-adjustment-102259/
This post was more about the router raza I had on my table the first pic shows the table top on the WC2000

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f20/square-hollow-router-fence-101417/
This post was about the router fence and how I attach it to the saw fence. The advantage of this is that you can still utilize the Triton fence adjustment to locate the fence.

Originally I used to remove the router from the melomine top after each job but after a while I found it more convenient to leave it permanently bolted to it. I rarely require to use the router as a stand alone unit since building the table.:U

As I mentioned in the above threads I built the entire setup from offcuts and scrap so the there was little cost involved.

Cheers

Smokin