PDA

View Full Version : more lamipanel

rackrussel
19th February 2005, 04:01 PM
having been told by reliable source(shifty mates) that lamipanel could be cut quite easily with a fibro cutter, i set about installing the stuff.
only to find that it only cuts reasonably neatly along the grain(lengthways)
when it is cut across the sheet ot tends to crack.
i need a nice neat cut to join up to a shower screen which can then be sealed.
any suggestions about what to cut it with. keep in my i only have standard tools and am 2hrs from the nearest hardware store. cheers

journeyman Mick
19th February 2005, 11:20 PM
Jack,
I've cut a fair bit of this stuff, several ways:
Jigsaw with a Makita no 42 blade.
Circular saw with an aluminium cutting blade
Jigsaw with any other blade from the back of the sheet to stop chipping
angle grinder with multi cutter blade (4" tct blade) very dangerous!
Jigsaw with any other blade from front of sheet, 5mm or so from line, trim to line with electric planer.
Sliding panel saw

A few other possibilities:
Old handsaw or fibro shears and then electric planer or router to clean up. You can also cut it cleanly with a sheetmetal guillotine, but the off cut will be absolutely wrecked. Bear in mind this stuff is really hard on cutting edges. When I was fitting out boats I generally got the boat yard to buy me heaps of the #42 blades, a few tungsten blades for the planer and get my 7.25" ally cutting blade sharpened. (I've still got a few of the blades left :) )

Mick

rackrussel
20th February 2005, 12:31 AM
thanks mick
jigsaw i have and as i have stated in other posts i'm not a big fan of angle grinders.
using a 42 blade would there be any need to trim or could i cut right on the line, it has to be a very precise fit, between the screen and the corner of the room
cheers rackrussel

David L
20th February 2005, 03:20 PM
I used my jig saw with a tungsten carbide blade, it works very well with minimum
clean up if you are carefull, I used a straight edge.

rackrussel
20th February 2005, 03:29 PM
thanks dave,
trying to avoid any cleanup as i dont own or have any experience with a plane.
light filing might do the job?

journeyman Mick
20th February 2005, 11:31 PM
Jack,
if you use a fresh no42 blade and make sure that the pendulum action (if any) on your jigsaw is turned off you should get a clean chip free cut. Lubricating the blade periodically with some beeswax will make it easier also. Try to avoid any side thrust on the blade (sudden changes of direction) as this may cause slight chipping. With this blade any chipping will be minimal and so fine that you'll be hard pressed to see it, and if you're applying a sealant bead you definitely won't see the edge any way.

Mick

Iain
21st February 2005, 10:10 AM
I am at a similar level except that SWMBO has ordered Aquatile, is this similar to Lamipanel (which I have used before) or is there a different substrate?
I am awaiting delivery at the moment and have not even sighted it.
I was wondering about cutting, the last lot we had cut to size for us, and I shall seek out the #42 Makita blades if they work for this stuff.