PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat control.

outback
19th February 2005, 08:02 PM
In my never ending quest for knowledge, I am expanding into the world of hide glue.

To heat it all up I have acquired, for a very reasonable price an old Birko. The problem is these old things are just plug in and go, no thermostat to keep the inner container of glue just cosy warm.

Sticking to budget is there an easy way of controlling the temp? I imagine the sensor would just dangle over the edge into the water bath, then off to the controller, then into the Birko.
Any ideas?

echnidna
19th February 2005, 09:23 PM
An electric jug is rather unsafe as the element is bare wire in water. So you could get a belt from the inner glue container.

try and pickup an old electric frypan failing all else,
or a baby's bottle warmer or a crockpot etc.

Sturdee
19th February 2005, 10:01 PM
To heat it all up I have acquired, for a very reasonable price an old Birko. The problem is these old things are just plug in and go, no thermostat to keep the inner container of glue just cosy warm.

Outback,

Birko used to make two items that look very similar. One was an electric jug with the element hidden in the base and not exposed and a baby bottle warmer which looks the same as the heater but has a thermostat built in. Most people had both and used the jug to heat the bottle and the other to keep it warm.

Question is which one do you have? Suggest you try it with a meat thermometer in the jug and see.

Peter.

soundman
19th February 2005, 11:55 PM
Go on a raiding expedition or second hand stores & garage sales & se if you can pic up a crock pot. Just the thing.

outback
20th February 2005, 11:35 AM
Sturdee, I have the sealed element, non thermostat one, :( . As the element is sealed no risk of unintended jump start happening.

The Birko was originally used to heat up babies bottles, I don't think they owned the thermostat one.

I may need to just use a thermometer and zap the water occasionally.