PDA

View Full Version : Bench chisels what to get?

Da bunny lover
28th April 2012, 09:03 PM
Im looking to get a set of new bench chisels, im thinking of either a set of Ln's or Ashley Iiles. Ive read plenty on the net about both, and was sort of leaning towards the Ln"s, but then again the cost of the Ais keep tempting back (along with the look of the handles, sure looks dont make something work better)..its had me doing heaps of thinking, i cant find any place that sells the Ais , so if i went that way id have to order in from the states (price is better than getting them from uk), then when i start thinking about ordering from the us, i get tempted by a set of Blue spruce
ok so Ais set of 5 $125, Ln's set of 5 $340. Blue spruce set of 5 $444, what im trying to work out is are the lns $200 better ?,im in the middle of a workshop refit too so there are a few other things i need (want)....i dont know...any ideas ???

FenceFurniture
28th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Check this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/group-buy-hnt-gordon-colen-clenton-michael-connor-vesper-tools-harold-saxon-151412/), post #4, and you can keep the money in Australia! Not only that, but you'll be able to get chisels from a man regarded as either the best or amongst the very best in the world. There are other posts throughout the thread which will show you examples of Trent's work.

Trav
29th April 2012, 09:19 AM
If it is any help, I have a set of AIs, but if Brett (FenceFurniture) was running the group buy when I was buying them, I would have bought the Harold and Saxons. I am very happy with the limited use I have had with the AI chisels, but I do like the idea of supporting local producers - especially with a reputation like H&S.

Trav

Scribbly Gum
29th April 2012, 09:36 AM
Until you get your new bench chisels, whether H & S or others, go to the markets - there must be some on the north side of Brisbane somewhere - and pick up a few old English chisels - anything made in Sheffield will do.
They will be as cheap as chips, and will surprise you with how good they are. They certainly won't be $200 worse than anything that you are considering.
IMHO old English chisels are the most under-rated, and still excellent, chisels out there.
Happy chiselling
SG

NZStu
29th April 2012, 10:26 AM
Don't discount Japanese chisels either: toolsfromjapan have some Koyamaichis that are very, very good: White steel oire-nomi : Tools from Japan, Japanese woodworking tools direct from Japan. (http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=312_489_490_491)

and some new ones that also look quite promising too:

'Yasaku' oire-nomi. : Tools from Japan, Japanese woodworking tools direct from Japan. (http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=312_553_556_562)

fineboxes
29th April 2012, 11:39 AM
For what it's worth and for your consideration I have 2 full box sets left of Sheffield Made Blue Chip Marpels/Record Chisels very old stock not the made in china Irwin's. $180.00 per set. Originally bought for my student these are whats left over.

Cheers

Steve

jimbur
29th April 2012, 12:22 PM
For what it's worth and for your consideration I have 2 full box sets left of Sheffield Made Blue Chip Marpels/Record Chisels very old stock not the made in china Irwin's. $180.00 per set. Originally bought for my student these are whats left over.
Cheers Steve
I've been using mine for over forty-five years without any problems if that's any help. I know some people don't like the plastic handles but I find them comfortable and easy to find among the shavings. Mine have never been hit with anything but a wooden mallet (red gum).
Cheers,
Jim

Da bunny lover
29th April 2012, 02:30 PM
Until you get your new bench chisels, whether H & S or others, go to the markets - there must be some on the north side of Brisbane somewhere - and pick up a few old English chisels - anything made in Sheffield will do.
They will be as cheap as chips, and will surprise you with how good they are. They certainly won't be $200 worse than anything that you are considering.
IMHO old English chisels are the most under-rated, and still excellent, chisels out there.
Happy chiselling
SG

I do have a few old english (and one made in sweden) that ive found at antique shops /markets as well as a few old ones that belonged to my father and will keep picking them up as i find ones i like...can never have too many:U

Acco
29th April 2012, 08:56 PM

Cheers

Steve

G'day Steve

If Da bunny lover doesn't mind me jumping in here, I'd like to purchase one of these sets please. Will send you a PM.

Scribbly Gum
29th April 2012, 09:36 PM

Cheers

Steve

These blue chip chisels by Marples - prior to Irwin/Marples - were top shelf in their day, and are still excellent chisels. Lots of owners sand the tops of the handles a little, to create a flat spot so that the mallet strikes the handle more truly and doesn't glance off the rounded plastic - usually to impact with the hand holding the handle.
Well worth owning.
Cheers
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

jimbur
29th April 2012, 10:14 PM
These blue chip chisels by Marples - prior to Irwin/Marples - were top shelf in their day, and are still excellent chisels. Lots of owners sand the tops of the handles a little, to create a flat spot so that the mallet strikes the handle more truly and doesn't glance off the rounded plastic - usually to impact with the hand holding the handle.
Well worth owning.
Cheers
SG:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
That's what I did SG:2tsup:
Cheers,
Jim

NZStu
30th April 2012, 07:30 AM
I replaced the handles on mine with some similary shaped ones in oak. Didn't like the plastic...

orraloon
2nd May 2012, 12:05 AM
I have to agree with SG on the old English but will add(or Scottish or German or Sweedish and perhaps American, French and maybe a few others). Also and as good as anything the old Titans made in Australia. All can be found in markets, garage sales and places like ebay for a few $ per item. Some require a bit of tlc but that is part of the voyage to chisel perfection. You also have a bit of history
153211d1289859693-surprise-under-rust-chisel-find-005-640x480-.jpg (JPEG Image, 640×480 pixels) (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f152/153211d1289859693-surprise-under-rust-chisel-find-005-640x480-.jpg)
like this Matheson for a few dollars. A chance find but about as good a chisel as any ever made.
Regards
John