PDA

View Full Version : Fun with a 'magic' wand

Oiliver
29th April 2012, 12:53 PM
My little sister and some of her friends are quite into the popular Harry Potter series. A while ago she had been rabbitting on to me about if she was magical, her wand would be made out of Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium). So, deciding that I need to practise my techniques more, I decided to make her a wand for her birthday- out of Manuka wood of course. So I made one and it all went nicely (and I found Manuka is really nice to work with!), but then I decided this really had to be a MAGIC wand!
So today, being her birthday, I got her friends to blindfold her and take her outside. I then put the wand in her hand and lit the sparklers I had taped onto the end of it and told her she could look! It was pretty hilarious, as when she looked down she had a wand in her hand (as per her specifications) that was firing out sparks all over the place!
Quite a bit of fun, it is a great 'party present' for older kids (as long as they are okay with fireworks/sparks) who are into magic :D AND it is a good excuse to get some time in front of the lathe :P
*Photos attatched :) Ps, She was grinning from ear to ear, but out of privacy I chose not to show her face*

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2012, 01:06 PM
:2tsup:

Claw Hama
29th April 2012, 07:34 PM
Well done, the sparklers realy add to the effect:D

dr4g0nfly
29th April 2012, 07:44 PM
Brillient - always wondered how they did it in the films!

Oiliver
29th April 2012, 08:55 PM
Hahah thanks! I know, I'm leaking tricks of the film trade here for you guys ;D

All good fun though, I definitely recommend it for the surprise/entertainment value alone!

Skewturn
29th April 2012, 10:35 PM
:2tsup:awesome:2tsup:

cookie48
30th April 2012, 01:10 AM
What a great gift for your sister. All my sister wanted from me was to go away..

Christos
30th April 2012, 09:19 AM
That's a great present.

And I see that Olivanders Oiliver wand shop is in business, under a new name. :U