PDA

View Full Version : Bow Maker

Siege
29th April 2012, 05:45 PM
G'day folks,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I am looking for wood for making bows. I am happy to share what knowledge I have making them but really need the wood to keep making.

I am working towards offering bows for sale, and even courses in bow making. Only issue is I need the wood!!

Looking for a supplier in Melbourne, or interstate if freight is okay, and the types I am after is.

Osage Orange
Yew
Maple
Lemonwood
Elm

any help would be fantastic, frustrating when you can't find the wood you are after

dai sensei
29th April 2012, 07:48 PM
Check out our market place timber section, there is some OO listed for sale, considered the best for bows.

Bushmiller
29th April 2012, 08:53 PM
Siege

Welcome to the forums.

As well as the market place as, Neil suggested, you might like to "ask" in the timber milling section if they ever come across those species. The mobile millers may be more likely to cut such timbers. Those timbers, I imagine, are normally one-offs and not commercially viable for timber mills.

Regards
Paul

orraloon
2nd May 2012, 12:28 PM
Siege,
Welcome to the forum.
I have made a few bows over the years and spent long frustrating days searching for the woods you mention. While they are nearly all grown as garden trees here they are rare and hard to find. Your best bet would to get to know a few tree loppers and have them keep an eye out for the bits you want. A very commom garden tree robinia is really good and is called locust in the USA where it is a favourite bow wood. It is almost as good as osage. The one in the pics is about 50# and has taken no set at all after a few years of shooting.
I got yew from canada a few times but shipping is as much as the wood. Osage can be found sometimes but still rare here.
There is better news however as a few local woods make good bows. Ironbark is really good. Spotted Gum is ok and Black Wattle is good. There are most likely plenty more if anyone wants to experiment.
Anyhow good luck with the wood hunt.
Regards
John

TTIT
7th May 2012, 10:16 PM
Another local timber that makes good bows is Lancewood (acacia shirleyii). A recent article in the Australian Woodworker about making a bow used a piece of Lancewood I supplied myself :U as part of a 3-way trade (it's complicated and involves a Flamenco guitar! :o )

Old Croc
8th May 2012, 07:31 AM
Another local timber that makes good bows is Lancewood (acacia shirleyii). A recent article in the Australian Woodworker about making a bow used a piece of Lancewood I supplied myself :U as part of a 3-way trade (it's complicated and involves a Flamenco guitar! :o )
Ho Ho Ho, so can we expect a few tunes on said guitar at this years Prossie Turnout,only 6 months away and counting,
regards,
Crocy.

TTIT
8th May 2012, 07:47 PM
Ho Ho Ho, so can we expect a few tunes on said guitar at this years Prossie Turnout,only 6 months away and counting,
regards,
Crocy.Mate I can't even play the triangle!!! - all I get out of the deal is a ute full of hairy oak :U

Old Croc
9th May 2012, 07:36 AM
Mate I can't even play the triangle!!! - all I get out of the deal is a ute full of hairy oak :U
When did you say you wanted me to come down with my truck AND my trailer.:2tsup:

Bob Whitworth
13th August 2012, 08:25 PM
I believe that Silver Ash makes the best bows. I know that the wood has plenty of spring in it. I also have sold some SA to someone who made bows a few years ago.