PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Tool

TKO
30th April 2012, 03:34 PM
Looking for a way,hopefully to get the needle pointing to the top not the bottom,what happened was ,being feeble, in the mind I'm thinkin,,I dropped it on to the concrete floor, and the results was the needle was pointing down,Is there a way I can rectify this ,it is still accurate, but not so easy to read at times,

Cheers Edwin

Dave J
30th April 2012, 03:40 PM
It sounds like it has jumped a few teeth on the rack, so you would need to take it apart to fix it.
Just make sure you do it on a big white sheet or something. If your not up to doing it, maybe your local watch bloke would do it for you.

Dave

Stustoys
30th April 2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Edwin,

Drop it again? :D

Is there a small hole on the slide somewhere? Some(?) Mitutoyo verniers have a pin you push in to disengage the rack.

I'll dig out the instructions and take a picture, it might help.

Stuart

edit, here you go,

Anorak Bob
30th April 2012, 04:35 PM
The older Mitutoyos, pre Stus, had a thin copper key that you slid along the rack to disengage the pinion gear. I found out that the dial depth gauge could be adjusted in a different manner. This might help if you can remove the sliding jaw - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/mitutoyo-dial-depth-gauge-resetting-zero-134681/

Bob.

4-6-4
30th April 2012, 09:33 PM
Greetings Chaps. I hate digital and Dial verniers. I have had this happen to me and the only verniers I have had were the old style which have the adjustment screw. I have found that it is hard to keep the measurement when you move the vernier to read it. Is this just me o0r do other bodies have this problem. Micrometers For Ever. 4-6-4

TKO
30th April 2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks very much Dave,Stuart and Bob , For the advice, I had a look to see if it was posible to ajust as you all sugested, Took it all to pieces, but there is no way that i
can see of repair with out removing the small gear wheel,and having removed the dial I am not game to remove the moving indicator hand, so back together and try and get use to it as it is.

Thanks 4-6-4 you are right to a point but the dial is quicker for what I use it for,Thanks all for your help.

Cheers Edwin.

Ueee
30th April 2012, 09:59 PM
Greetings Chaps. I hate digital and Dial verniers. I have had this happen to me and the only verniers I have had were the old style which have the adjustment screw. I have found that it is hard to keep the measurement when you move the vernier to read it. Is this just me o0r do other bodies have this problem. Micrometers For Ever. 4-6-4

I agree totally 4-6-4, i bought a Mitutoyo absolute 150mm vernier (digital) brand new when i got my first lathe, and i only really use it for rough measuring or if i can't get a mic in. Also all my mics are probably older than me and i find real pleasure in using them. I have a "thing" for M&W and have a nice collection of 961b's and 965b's (both 1/10 thou) I'm still chasing a nice 3-4" though, it seems to be a rare (well rarer then the rest) size. I love the hand engraved fractional equivalents on all the old mics.

Ewan