PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying box

andersonec
2nd May 2012, 04:43 AM
After many stops and starts, finally finished this fly tying box.
It is made from a piece of spalted / rippled sycamore with walnut edging and the trays are from sapele. The compartment for the fly tying vice can be flipped open and the vice clamped to it.
First submission, hope I have got this right!
Andy

Billyboydes
2nd May 2012, 07:16 AM
Hi Andy,
Well that is one hell of a first submission! What a beauty, there is some work in this!
Great choice of timbers and I like the combination of trays, dividers and compartments. Beautiful.
regards

AlexS
2nd May 2012, 08:50 AM
Absolutely beautiful! It shows off great design skills and wide range of techniques. The result is something that is both practical and fine looking.

fineboxes
2nd May 2012, 09:26 AM
One can only stand with wonderment at the quality of Flies you tie if the woodworking skills are anything to go by. Congratulations lovely Box.

Cheers

Steve

Ruddy
2nd May 2012, 10:29 AM
I agree.......outstanding box. Top design.

Woody1
2nd May 2012, 12:49 PM
Andy That is a beautiful box. Lovely choice of timbers. Was it hard to do the inlay in the top lid? Do you have any WIP pics of when you done the lid or any other part of the box for that matter.
Once again a superb effort.

andersonec
2nd May 2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry guy's, no wip pictures, it was something which developed from a suggestion by the guy where I get some timber from, he makes engineered flooring and I buy off-cuts, he goes Salmon fishing and I made him a little fly box.
The marquetry fly was made for me but I inlaid it. The veneer for the top is bookmatched Amboyna burr, once that was taped together the fly was taped down and small 'chopping' cuts were made around it, the cut 'grows' away from you and the tape is lifted as you go past and stuck down again after.
The corners were mitred with keys slotted in after, the base was fitted into a routed groove and the thing was then glued up, the lid, 9mm birch ply, fitted into a rebate after.
My mitre keys are made from five layers of veneer and you can make up whatever colours or patterns you like to match the wood you are using, I have a cheap, flat topped teeth circular saw blade which I use for cutting the slots, I like them thin as I think they look much neater than thick, heavy mitre keys.
I don't go fly fishing now though I used to many years ago, I just like making boxes. Box design is endless and what I would like to do is turn one out like Ian Hawthorne Bespoke Boxes by Ian Hawthorne | Bespoke Jewellery Boxes, Memory Boxes, Watch Boxes, Keepsake Boxes (http://hawthornecrafts.com/) what I call 'engineering with wood,' fabulous precision, and the attention to detail is just stunning, there are videos on his site of his process.
I have been hovering round the forum for quite a while now and seen many great boxes on here so decided to post that one, I am in the process of making a miniature Queen Anne dresser, the draws for jewellery, but over here we are still stuck with miserable cold wet soggy weather and the garage is not a very inviting place at the moment so progress is slow.
Thanks for the nice comments guy's, it is really encouraging to know that you are on the right track.

Andy

gwambygine
3rd May 2012, 11:36 PM
Superlatives.... and if you made it for your timber supplier I'm expecting you to get some stunning wood in return.. Love the veneered mitre keys. Well, what's not to like in a box of this quality.