PDA

View Full Version : Grass for erosion/salinty?

RedShirtGuy
4th May 2012, 08:52 PM
This might be better for a different forum, but thought I'd give it a shot here first...

I'm in the process of raking up and burning 25 odd years (since the last bush fire went through) of tree litter from my 5 acre block in central Victoria due to it becoming such a horrendous fire threat again. I've been spreading the ash back out around where I've cleaned up but would like to try and do more while the ground is clear to help with the erosion/salinity council overlay it's under.

It's a moderately treed property and there's room for more in places so that's definitely on the cards, but was thinking that maybe some kind of grass wouldn't go astray. I'm not after a lawn, just something to roughly cover the exposed ground with the hope that the root system would be a benefit and the "leaves" being able to stop water just running away. There are fine clumps of native grasses sparsely scattered around but also large exposed areas that are only being protected by the litter.

The ground is mostly a heavy, very hard clay with some areas having a little fine mulch sitting on top under the tree litter and trying to dig or rake in seeds is going to be nigh on impossible. Watering in gyspum over such a large area (without it simply washing away) is probably out of the question too.

So...after all that dribble...is there something in the way of seeds that I can cast freely around the place this Autumn/Winter with little to no cover and only whatever rainfail Mother Nature can manage that could help me out? The growing grass would probably only get mown during the hot months/fire season, as I would like it to be able to throw it's own seed to help get more coverage over time.

I realise that what I'm asking goes against all normal seeding rules but I'm hoping that whatever doesn't get washed away in winter or eaten by birds (very few bother to land) will get covered with a little silt or root itself in place so that when spring comes around it will be ready to start growing properly. However, I'm also not averse to going around with a pitchfork and shallow seeding in clusters or scattered topographic rows when the ground is a little softer after rain if that's any better.

Any other suggestions for covering large areas with the least amount of nurturing would also be welcome :)

Kidbee
4th May 2012, 10:13 PM
This is a long shot but the following website maybe worth a read about fire retardant plants: www.ozbreed.com.au/download/fire_retardant_plants.pdf

Gary

RedShirtGuy
5th May 2012, 02:36 AM
That's a great little resource for bigger plants. :2tsup: Many thanks.

It has confirmed for me that planting some agapanthas would be a good idea. I've collected a bunch of seeding heads from the ones at home with the intention of using them in house gardens at the block but now I think I'll put them in the ground around the place instead and let them go wild.

rusel
5th May 2012, 03:42 PM
Well here in the blue mountains agapanthas is classed as weed and hard to get rid of once established
My $0.02 worth
Alternative Planting

Native Plants
Spiny-headed Mat Rush (Lomandra longifolia)
local native flax lilies (Dianella species)
Saw-sedges (Gahnia species)

Exotic alternatives
Pride of Madeira (Echium fastuosum)
from
Agapanthus - Weeds of Blue Mountains Bushland (http://www.weedsbluemountains.org.au/agapanthus.php)

RedShirtGuy
5th May 2012, 03:54 PM
Curses. Foiled again. I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids :q

A quick look has revealed that yes, aggies are an environmental weed in these parts too. While I'm happy for them to go a little crazy on my place, I wouldn't want them to affect the surrounding areas so I'll scratch that idea. There are low seeding variations but it's still not worth the risk.

I'll have a squiz at the other suggestions and also see if I can identify exactly what I've already got.

Thanks for the heads-up :2tsup:

RedShirtGuy
7th May 2012, 01:00 AM
This paper is a great resource ( Ozbreed - Erosion Research (http://www.landscapegardeningplants.com/erosion_research.html) ) with lots of data, pretty numbers and definitive suggestions in a reasonably short read.

malb
17th May 2012, 08:23 PM
Couch grass and Kykouri are both runner based grasses that will thrive on an unprepared clay base. However they are very dominant and will spread beyond the boundary, and need to be cut regularly to keep them from getting long enough to climb the trees/shrubs on site and strangle them or become an arial fire hazard. Can grow from 50mm high to 500mm high in a couple of weeks with a bit of moisture and sun, will penetrate under the bark of eucalypts, wattles etc and climb, breaking out and setting up overhead shoots etc.

Definitely not stopped by concrete or steel barrier materials as they will go over them if left unattended, or or send runners at least 600mm underground to go under then emerge on the other side.

Alot of our back yard was cut and filled a few years ago, so large areas were bare. Remnant grasses recovered bare areas within 18months without any intervention.

Can be classed as a weed in some areas, and definitely needs regular cutting to keep it low, but meets your other criteria.

RedShirtGuy
17th May 2012, 08:39 PM
I've been doing a bit more research and found a really great grass similar to Kikuyu but not as invasive, softer, requires much less care and has a much stronger root base. Its family is Zoysia and in particular the Zoysia Japonica looked the best suited...except the region I'm in is too cold for any of them :(

I pretty sure one of the grasses I already have there is a Wallaby and have found a place that sells the seeds ready to go for a whopping $150 per kg (Native Seeds (http://nativeseeds.com.au/) - Has some good general info on the varieties)

The other option I have been considering is pillaging next season's seed heads, preparing them and planting them out in time for the next growing season. The seeds take quite a few months from picking to being ready to plant. So besides the time it will take, that seems like a good "natural" idea too.