PDA

View Full Version : U Tube madness

Ueee
5th May 2012, 07:51 PM
Um, this probably belongs in the woodturning section of the forum, but i wouldn't want anyone who doesn't look there to miss out.

Ewan

Woodturning with 150hp lathe -Crazy Canadian Woodworking - YouTube

matthew_g
5th May 2012, 09:22 PM
It takes all kinds.................................

RETIRED
5th May 2012, 11:14 PM
It takes all kinds.................................You forgot "May contain nuts and lactose" in your disclaimer.:rolleyes:

matthew_g
6th May 2012, 12:36 AM
Damn............Knew I forgot something.....LOL

vk4
7th May 2012, 10:30 AM
I don't know if this bloke is mad or slightly weird, certianly I would not be turning outside in the cold especially when it starts snowing, to much chance of slipping.

jemijona
7th May 2012, 01:52 PM
An idea which would allow you to turn in your shed, or your lounge room, would be to use a motorbike that has a centre stand, cruise control and a single sided swing arm.

You would need to put a bit of ballast on the front wheel, to lift the back up off the ground/carpet, and you could use the swing arm as your tool rest.

Of course you swap out the back wheel for the workpiece.

Just select an appropriate gear for the stage of work you are doing, rev and lock in the cruise control, and turn away. :D

Oh, if you are working on the carpet, you might want to provide some ventilation, so that you don't get gassed out, like that dude that ran a diesel generator in his house.

Cheers

Optimark
7th May 2012, 10:02 PM
I can imagine that someone may emulate them, but use a vehicle with a limited slip differential, now that would be a turning excercise.

I believe Hans Tholstrup designed, or cobbled together a BMW flat twin bike with a rear swinging arm to power a boat to Tasmania from Melbourne. The authorities wouldn't let him do it.

Quite a few BMW flat twin bikes fitted with a swinging arm have powered all sorts of things, usually by direct connection to the bevel box which normally drives a bolted on rear wheel.

All motorcycles with a swinging arm are single sided, all others have a swinging fork, if you think about it.

Mick.

jemijona
7th May 2012, 11:14 PM
All motorcycles with a swinging arm are single sided, all others have a swinging fork, if you think about it.

Mick.

I've never heard anyone call a "swing fork" a swing fork.

Everyone I've been associated with calls them swingarms, be they single or double sided.

:)

Cheers