PDA

View Full Version : workbench questions

trueman
21st February 2005, 07:15 PM
ok well im new to these forums and fairly new to woodworking as well so bare with me any pros reading

i am building a work bench for my year 12 design tech porject this year and i was seeking some advise as to what materials will be cheep but will still look good and still be hard enough. i would also like it if someone who knows there stuff would maybe give me a few names/websites for suppliers of vices and bench dogs n stuff (preffereably in the melbourne area since im working on a budget :) )

gold leader
21st February 2005, 07:32 PM
I just finished building my bench (will post pics once its flattened). I used Kiln dried hardwood for the bench top, and it weighs a tonne. Crapiata pine for the legs and underframe. Total timber outlay was about $220

bitingmidge
21st February 2005, 07:34 PM
Trueman,

Use standard radiata pine framing and follow the instructions on this link:
http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm

Where it says 2 x 4, use 35 x 90

Before you do, read this threadWorkbench Questions (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13725&highlight=workbench+questions)

Cheers,

P

Rusty
21st February 2005, 07:40 PM
Try scavenging old OB hardwood from demo sites (or ask a friendly builder).
Heavy, hard and drier than a nun's, um, clothes drier? Usually free except for time spent de-nailing. Dressing it is another story, though.
Carbatec in Melbourne is still your best bet for hardware. If you dare.
Caveat: I don't really know my stuff. Just got the urge to post tonight.
Look out world.
Have a good one.

Rus.

trueman
22nd February 2005, 04:56 PM
i hav already built a 3d model of what im making using turbo CAD its only the materials that i wanted to know about so thanks for everythin so far, ill look into em.

with the vice i am most likly working under a budget from the skool of about $200, then anything outside that needs to be payed by the person im making it for (and i dont really want them 2 hav to pay too much since they r family)

so i was wondering if anyone knows a supplier whos cheap as well as reliable (assuming that those two charateristics can co-exist)

Harry72
22nd February 2005, 05:07 PM
Hey trueman how about using a bigger pen!

trueman
22nd February 2005, 05:12 PM
sorry i just hav a really big monotor so all you guys text is massive and when i type mine always looks too big so i make it small lol

Wood Butcher
22nd February 2005, 11:10 PM
so i was wondering if anyone knows a supplier whos cheap as well as reliable (assuming that those two charateristics can co-exist)

I don't know about reliable but it is cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20761&item=4357566810&rd=1

cdm
28th February 2005, 05:54 PM
hey trueman,

how about using the old radiata pine for the trestle base and maybe an mdf top. how about using a more decorative hardwood just for some features of the top (vise etc)....

anywayz just some ideas....

try matthews in vermont for the timber

cdm
28th February 2005, 06:01 PM
sorry almost forgot....

use lee valley for all of your vice and dog needs....

however if you want to make your own dogs and vises (apart from the screws) i'm sure the members would be only too glad to help...:)

trueman
28th February 2005, 06:06 PM
ok thanks for the help people

ill post a few pics of the 3D model i hav made so far

Harry72
28th February 2005, 11:30 PM
You keep doing 3D renderings like that there's a few here that might get a bit jealous!
Take long to render that?

trueman
1st March 2005, 07:45 AM
nah i built that in a study period at skool between classes lol