PDA

View Full Version : Preventing glue problems - secrets.

NightPanther
21st February 2005, 08:25 PM
Ok, I'm sure there are people here who can help me prevent my project glueing itself to my bench.

As a few already know - I'm a learner (yup - big yellow "L" plates). I've discovered that two pieces of wood that are glued and clamped can sometimes result in an abstract artwork. Namely, my project glued to the bench or to any other nearby object.

Now, despite my possible ability to sell these items to the nearby National Art Gallery, I'd rather learn how to prevent this problem. The reading I've done points towards grocery store Wax Paper as a woodworker friendly material. Unfortunately my supermarkets don't seem to stock any such thing. Is Australia missing a valuable resource or am I just on the wrong track?

- John Freestone

outback
21st February 2005, 08:38 PM
I use wax paper all the time. My supply when I need a new roll is SWMBO kitchen cupboard.

Should be available at any self respecting supermarket, along with alfoil for your foily.

bitingmidge
21st February 2005, 08:44 PM
Normal old ClingWrap works just fine as well!

Oh, and I usually use masking tape on the joins, because I'm such a messy fellow with glue, and the bit in the corner is the hardest to clean up. (see the green stuff:http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=6613)

Cheers,

P

AlexS
21st February 2005, 09:44 PM
Oiling your bench top helps prevent glue sticking to it. Any plastic - clingwrap, builders plastic or vinyl - as long as you remember to put it down before you glue.
Put furniture wax around joints during a dry run to prevent squeeze-out sticking during the real glue-up. You can remove the wax later with turps. This is especially good with epoxy.

Harry72
21st February 2005, 10:55 PM
"Unfortunately my supermarkets don't seem to stock any such thing. Is Australia missing a valuable resource or am I just on the wrong track?"
Yep they stopped calling it wax paper when I was knee high... 70-80's nowdays its called baking paper or cooking paper!
Im a glad wrapper myself... no not the bad boy bubby style!!!(nice ***s Flo)

Different
21st February 2005, 11:51 PM
Use less glue and it wont drip all over the place

Ross

silentC
22nd February 2005, 08:21 AM
I use newspaper. Gives me something to read while the glue is drying.

bitingmidge
22nd February 2005, 08:42 AM
I use newspaper. Gives me something to read while the glue is drying.
Don't the dried up glue dags scratch when you use it later??

P :confused:

silentC
22nd February 2005, 08:45 AM
Oh no, I use old copies of Woodworking For Women for that job. The pages are so silky smooth... :D

IanW
22nd February 2005, 10:16 AM
Not many supermarkets seem to stock waxed paper aka 'lunchwrap' - the yuppies don't brown bag their lunches any more. You are supposed to go and sip a latte with your foccacia. Ignorant lot!

But why fuss about with bits of paper? For at least 30 years I've just used pastewax on the bench top (and any bits of the job that are in danger of sticking to other bits I DON'T want them to stick to. You only need to wax every 6 months or so depending on how much use it gets. Any dollops of glue, varnish etc. that fall on the bench can be easily flicked off with a scraper. Oil (the drying types like boiled linseed or Danish, not the leftovers of your car sump) works ok on its own, but the pastewax ensures a low-stick surface.
Cheers,

bat
22nd February 2005, 11:45 AM
My workbench is a 4' X 8' piece of 3/4" melamine. Actually, I think I'm up to 4 layers now. Wood glue won't stick to melamine, so I never have that problem. Maybe every other year, I decide that there are too many holes and grooves from my router, so I either replace the top layer or add a new layer.

noodle_snacks
22nd February 2005, 12:12 PM
I use wax paper, but the super market called it butchers paper...

Iain
22nd February 2005, 12:21 PM
I thought butchers paper was the white stuff that your (non yuppie) chips came wrapped in.
I've seen a large roll of brown wrapping paper under a workbench used, just feed out as much as you need and tear it off, fairly cheap too I believe.
Just found the link:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip040618ws.html

cdm
28th February 2005, 06:14 PM
another vote for the gladbake for me (comes from supermarket next to clingwrap and alfoil)....it is so easy - no scraping no mess....more time for working wood:D

Chris

ozwinner
28th February 2005, 06:43 PM
I use newspaper, my alter ego Charles uses Melamine.

Al :confused:

Prince Charles
28th February 2005, 06:56 PM
Get some peasent to do it for you.

Charles

bat
28th February 2005, 07:15 PM
And if you call now, we'll even throw in a second box of glad bake. But wait, there's more!

Melamine is cheap, and wood glue doesn't stick to it. It is the choice of the professionals.

But if you're hung up on maintaining the facade of being a "real woodworker", then by all means, use a wood table top, and waste money on wax paper.

scooter
28th February 2005, 08:32 PM
...You only need to wax every 6 months or so depending on how much use it gets....

Ian, I know a few, er, Mediterrainian (sp?) gals who might disagree with you there... :o :eek:

Cheers...........Sean the shorn ;)