PDA

View Full Version : BandSaw

J.Starr
6th June 2000, 02:36 PM
Can some one help me. I am new to woodWork and i want to buy a new BandSaw but there is a lot fo them out there.I want one with 1 hp motor and and easy to adjust and get parts easy to and good name behind it.A lot this make in Japan now so what do you think.
Price up to $700.00 Hope some one can help me out.Thank you, James

Rod Smith
9th June 2000, 11:18 AM
I looked at most of the bandsaws in that price range and came close to buying a taiwanese one (wouldn't buy chinese I don't think). I ended up buying a 1950's woodfast and restoring it. Cost me about $500 all up and its way ahead of the new ones in my humble opinion. Also its 18" and 2hp. On the other hand, I may have been happy with a 1hp with the riser block? Whatever you get will be right I'm sure as you are obviously prepared to do the research. Good luck. Rod

------------------

Gordy Gonyo
16th June 2000, 12:27 PM
I am going to get the Jet 14 inch closed stand. I have done alot of checking and it seems to be a good bet for the money.I am going to get the riser blocks, but you may not need them. I bought a Jet cabinet saw that I had problems with but the service was so good, and I like the saw, so I will buy from them again. Just one opinion, check out your needs and get what is comfortable for you. Good luck - Gordo

John Saxton
23rd June 2000, 07:08 PM
I have recently traded my old Taiwanese bandsaw in for a larger Jet brand of saw.
Paid about $330 about 8years ago and traded it for $350 was like losing an old friend.
Anyhow the Jet brand being American has a very good name in their tooling and I was most impressed with the quality of their range of all tools and in particular the bandsaws which I think are also accessed thru Taiwan but with stringent quality controls in place that say's a lot for the name.I am more than pleased with my bandsaw and would'nt hesitate to purchase using the same brand again.Their prices are worth considering and it might be a little more than others but their gear speaks for itself in the lower range of tooling.

------------------
Johnno

Rod Smith
24th June 2000, 11:49 AM
All my research told me that Jet are good quality with many happy owners. Made in taiwan under US supervision. Worth the extra I think, if you are going to buy a new machine. Let us know what you get. Rod

------------------

Gordy Gonyo
11th July 2000, 12:10 PM
I have switched gears about the bandsaw idea. I have been looking closely at the Laguna LT16 - 1-1/2 hp. I have heard good things about it, can anyone else tell me what they think of them? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Gordy.