PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Box

homesy135
6th May 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm going to build an Aussie Box for my next box project. I'm hoping to source all the parts from and made in Australia. The timber is sorted. I have the box lock covered with a Jacksons box lock. Australian made hinges are proving a little harder to source.

Does anybody know if there is an Australian hinge maker making a 25mm hinge suitable for boxes?

AlexS
7th May 2012, 09:29 AM
I doubt it. Because of the OH&S issues with manufacturing brass, there is very little done in Australia now. You may be better off making wooden hinges. There is a sticky on making wooden hinges at the top of this box forum.

homesy135
11th May 2012, 10:36 AM
I wasn't aware of the OH&S objections to working with brass in Australia and I'm not keen on wooden hinges. Just a personal preference.

I might try some of Anton Gerner's small hinges as soon as there is sufficient funds in the pot.

AlexS
11th May 2012, 02:09 PM
Forgot about AG's. I've used them before & they are good quality. Not sure where tey are made.

homesy135
11th May 2012, 09:24 PM
Yes, the pictures of the AG hinges look good. The also look like they have a round barrel or knuckle so they can mounted half ball. This is another preference. I picked up some Brusso hinges through eBay but discovered the knuckle has to protrude completely for the hinge to open. Not a good look IMO, especially on a small box.

While on the subject of hinges, the terms half ball and full ball - are these in common use? I first heard the terms at the Perth Wood Show. Full ball meaning the whole knuckle/barrel extends from the woodwork. Half ball meaning the hinge is mounted deeper into the woodwork so that only half the barrel extends from the woodwork.

I'm definitely a half ball man when it comes to boxes.

rodney
12th May 2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.fine-boxes.com/uploads/fck/image/sH_pressrelease_image_560.jpg

These are sold via Andrew Crawfords site however they are made by a guy in Perth.

smartHinge - the world's best box hinge - Fine Boxes (http://www.fine-boxes.com/smarthinges)

Cheers
Rodney

homesy135
12th May 2012, 12:57 PM
I've seen the Smart Hinge. I had no idea it was made in Perth.