PDA

View Full Version : Machining coolant

morrisman
7th May 2012, 05:42 PM
hi

I noticed that BJ Bearings ( Victoria only mob I think ) sell a machining coolant/lube in either 1 or 4 litre containers . A quick read of the label says you mix it 1 to 10 ratio with water . It's anti corrosive . I forgot to ask how much it is ..will do next time I am in there

Mike

Toggy
7th May 2012, 07:38 PM
Mike,

If it is KC1 soluble oil I would be wary of it. I have just had to clean out 3 systems. It had thickened (started to gel on the surface) and had blocked all the pickup screens. Bacteria was also starting. Also had rust issues with it.

Have gone to a fully synthetic (Houghto-Grind 60) as a trial. Mixed extremely well and slippery as a pig's *****.:D. Ran some over the mill table about a week ago and no sign of rusting or staining as yet. Time will tell.

Lubricity is good; picked up screwdriver with wet hands and the driver kept slipping out of my hand.

Oh; and no apparent allergy problems unlike the soluble oil.

Ken

morrisman
7th May 2012, 07:49 PM
hi

I didn't take down the details of what BJ Bearings sells , ..but thanks for the info.

Houghto-Grind 60

http://www.qtstools.com/TechInfo/60.pdf

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/S090

BTW where did you buy that stuff ?

mIke

Toggy
7th May 2012, 09:08 PM
Mike,

I got it from JD Industries in Shepparton. They are a H&F agent.

Mind you the 5 ltrs cost me $65. Nice markup.

Scary Forbes are close to you anyway.

(the soluble oil blocked the mesh screen on the suds pump of the hm50 mill within days of filling the sump. No chance of it going off that quick. Sure was a PITA cleaning it out.

Ken

Oldneweng
7th May 2012, 09:28 PM
Having recently been thru the same issues with my band saw after not using it for some time I was just starting to think about what I should get next. The stuff I have at the moment came from work. I got it at the same time as I bought my lathe from them. I don't know what it is.

I will remember to try fully synthetic in future. I am heading to the big smaoke on thursday and intend to do some checking of carbide bits for my cutting tools so will look into the soluble at the same time.

Dean

morrisman
7th May 2012, 09:43 PM
The coolant the TAFE was using when I was a student there is pink coloured stuff , it didn't rust anything . I'm pretty sure it was water soluble whatever it was . They had a large 44 gal. drum of that pink stuff , they used it in everything , the metal band saw , the mills too . The lathes were Chinese copies of the large Colchester with the multi coloured speed selection dial on the geared head. Mike