PDA

View Full Version : fiddling with finials again.

tea lady
7th May 2012, 06:20 PM
Have an idea for a new box design. An egg shape on a goblet base and finial on top. After gazing through some magazines, and doodling a bit I thought I'd just turn some and see what develops. Just out of spotted gum and dunno wood at the moment, but I have some queen ebony waiting in the wings for the real ones.

Busted one, and none are a complete success. A way to go perhaps. :rolleyes: But they are getting smaller and finer with practice. :cool:

What do people think of those onion shapes some put on the top of finials?

Also here is a pic of my new sizing tools. Little spanners 4mm to 8mm. 7 bucks. super cheap auto.:cool:

springwater
7th May 2012, 06:54 PM
5 an a halfs good 'cept it's hips are a bit shallow, 16's about perfect from here, 14's heads a bit fat at the base but their all good. Spanner set could be the latest in turner wear.

Woodwould
7th May 2012, 07:46 PM
:thyel: There's some nice turnings there, though stylistically, I like the base of 16 the best, but all the tops look a bit elongated to my eye. Funny looking wood too... River Masonite?

Skewturn
7th May 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi Tea lady
I like the finials they must be fiddly. My favourites are 16 and 18. :2tsup: What tools did
you use to turn these?
Cheers skewturn

Scott
8th May 2012, 01:17 AM
Someone is getting good at the skew :D

Like the shapes in all of them, well proportioned form :)

bench1holio
8th May 2012, 09:24 AM
all the onion tops look a little overweight for me, personally i reckon 16s top on 5-6 would give better proportion

dr4g0nfly
8th May 2012, 04:02 PM
I've always thought that tall thin finials like your turning there need a finishing detail at the top, therefore I'm going with 10 & 18.

Have you had a look at Cindy Drozda's work (http://www.cindydrozda.com/)?

tea lady
8th May 2012, 10:19 PM
Did a couple more today under 's watchful eye. He does small too.:U No time for pics right now though. So you will have to wait.:p

Thanks for the feed back guys.:cool:

Yes dr4g0nfly, Looked at Cindy Drozda's work. Also have watched Ken Wraight do his stuff. Just turning a whole bunch myself so my own style can work its way through. :cool:

Grumpy John
8th May 2012, 10:30 PM
I know that if there's no photo it didn't happen, but I watched them being done and they're very nice :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:. I'd be proud to have done half as well.

tea lady
9th May 2012, 08:52 AM
:B Gee thanks Grumpy.:U

Anyway. Here is the pic. :cool: Included some of the old ones on the left as comparison. Two on the right are yesterday's. Still a bit big I reckon. But a bit more defined. The ball on the left one was attached by a vicious skew so its a bit skinny. :C:doh::D

Cliff Rogers
9th May 2012, 09:43 AM
Some of that timber looks like Kwila.

Second batch are better although the first on the left looks a bit fragile.

springwater
9th May 2012, 05:31 PM
Aye, 10 and a half used to be 16 but it's still the one, 12.5 needs slightly fuller more rounded hips and 17.5 just needs a fatter, rounder bottom but he's/she's reaching too far, IMHO

mick61
16th May 2012, 04:59 PM
15 too busy for finial good for stem with adjustments. Like one on far right would like to see it finer, MHO
Mick:D

artme
16th May 2012, 07:25 PM
Neat work TL.Your perseverance is paying dividends.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Finials are tricky in terms of form and shape. I guess it all depends on the viewer.