PDA

View Full Version : Open end wrench as a caliper.

aametalmaster
8th May 2012, 11:32 AM
I have a bunch of 5/8" wide rings to face off and didn't want to read my vernier calipers or even a mic so i grabbed an open ended 5/8" wrench to use as a guage. I know everyone already knew that they could be used as such but there is always one guy who didn't :). Enjoy...Bob

Log
8th May 2012, 01:43 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:, love it:D, recently calibrated spanner(wrench:rolleyes: ) then eh:laughing1::D.
So what you building with all those rings?:?

I know some of you blokes spell gauge funny(gage:D:rolleyes:) but where the hell did guage come from :laughing1:, is the correct pronunciation goo-age or g-u-age:D .:roflmao:

Cheers.

jack620
8th May 2012, 02:17 PM
I know everyone already knew that they could be used as such ....

Yeah, I knew that ("cough"). :)

Clubman7
8th May 2012, 06:32 PM
You want to buy one of adjustable wrenches with the ruler marked on them.
Then you can measure different sizes too.:2tsup:

Ueee
8th May 2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I knew that ("cough"). :)

+1 on that (cough cough)

You just need to make sure that you havn't spread the jaws of your spanner.....or wrench for you aametalmaster. Of course you can get these things called spring calipers....

Ewan

Durdge39
8th May 2012, 09:21 PM
Just need to be careful doing accurate stuff as the jaws on spanners tend to be 0.005-0.01 oversize. I always found a 1/2" (or other size) spanner handy when rummaging around the scrap box looking for stock of a minimum diameter. Simplest go-no go gauge around.

Tom.

Log
9th May 2012, 12:02 AM
Hi aametalmaster,

Please don't take anything I said in my previous reply seriously. It was meant in just good hearted ribbing, if I have offended in any way I apologise(ok, your way apologize:D).

Maybe I just need a good bollocking out or perhaps hit me with a famous quote from Foghorn Leghorn, such as, "This, I say this calls for massive retaliation".:D

Cheers.

Ueee
9th May 2012, 12:39 AM
Hi aametalmaster,

Please don't take anything I said in my previous reply seriously. It was meant in just good hearted ribbing, if I have offended in any way I apologise(ok, your way apologize:D).

Maybe I just need a good bollocking out or perhaps hit me with a famous quote from Foghorn Leghorn, such as, "This, I say this calls for massive retaliation".:D

Cheers.

"There is one in every family.....two in mine actually"