PDA

View Full Version : Woodlathe Indexing

graemecarson
22nd February 2005, 02:06 PM
Soory about this but I've tried a search to no avail - or because I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of purchasing a lathe. No experience at all but think it's my next woodworking step. On most of the models I've looked at, particularly Jet, the info talks about 10 degree indexing or similar. Also talks about indexing holes? on the headstock? As you can tell I know nothing about lathes so if some kindhearted woodturner could advise I would be truly grateful.

Cheers,

graemecarson

Kev Y.
22nd February 2005, 02:50 PM
Indexing referes to the ability to "lock" the head stock inplace so as to be able to mark or drill holes at an even distance around the work piece.

in the case of your jet 10 degree indexing would give you 36 positions around the circumfrance of your work.

all the holes refer to is the method used to acheive the indexing.

I have had my lathe for about 3 years, and to date have not used the indexing at all ( atleast not for the purpose it was designed for anyway).

Dont get too bogged down with small stuff like that, concentrate on things like; bed construction (solid cast is best), Morse taper (usually refered to as No 2mt ) in the head stock spindle, type of chuck you can afford, and if you really can afford it, electronic variable speed.

ptc
22nd February 2005, 05:55 PM
I use my index head with a trimmer.
very usefull.

graemecarson
22nd February 2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks brudda and ptc. I am planning to research things a fair bit before committing to a purchase. I think i might even wait until the Timber and Working with Wood Show hits Brisbane in May so I can see and compare a few. There's a pretty solid looking Jet 1642 which I think means you can fit a 42 inch piece between the head and tail stocks and have a clearance of 16 inches. It has electronic speed control, swivelling head, 2MT, cast iron bed and stand as well if I recall correctly and something is 1" x 8T. Was fairly expensive ...but I suppose it could be a worthwhile investment. Just about everything else I have is Jet but that doesn't mean their lathes are better than others i suppose. The more I look and read I hope the more I'll learn (and save) towards making a good decision. Thanks again for your help and advice.

Cheers,

graemecarson

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2005, 11:00 PM
Hey Graeme, find a woodturning club & turn up to a couple of meetings.

Theys-a know-all bunch;) & only too keen & eager to tell you how they do it.

Get a feel for the stuff you like 'cos that's what you are going to try first but don't be at all surprised if your tastes change once you start.