PDA

View Full Version : Shellac finishing problem PLEASE HELP

Itchy57
9th May 2012, 11:20 AM
Hi

I am currently finishing a guitar with hardened white shellac. I have then buffed it with a polishing compound. Everything was going fine until I stupidly buffed through the finish in one spot. :doh:Taking my medicine for the stupidity, I have taken the area back to bare timber to re-apply the shellac. I now find that the shellac will not take to this area. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem, please?:C

Thanks Tony

nine fingers
9th May 2012, 12:01 PM
What was in you polishing compound? silicone?

Itchy57
9th May 2012, 12:43 PM
I have no idea. it was sold to me as "polak" from Aussie Buff. I have sanded well beyond the damaged area and the shellac won't take there either.

jimbur
9th May 2012, 01:17 PM
First thing that came to my mind too.
Cheers,
Jim

The Bleeder
9th May 2012, 01:48 PM
It think it "polak" is a polishing and waxing compound. It is sold around the world under various names. It maybe even rebadged porzelack.

Think you guys are right ... contains silicon ... it may also contain teflon ....

Itchy57
9th May 2012, 01:54 PM
It think it "polak" is a polishing and waxing compound. It is sold around the world under various names. It maybe even rebadged porzelack.

Think you guys are right ... contains silicon ... it may also contain teflon ....

Ok guys, thanks. If it is silicone that caused it, how can I fix it?

Elill
9th May 2012, 05:33 PM
Removing silicone? best of luck, you'd need a heavy duty solvent....even then

FYI.....EEE Ultrashine is the suitable cut and polish compound for Hard Shellac, works beautifully........

jimbur
9th May 2012, 06:19 PM
I had a bit of a search on the net and the best advice seems to be that whatever solvent you try throw the rags etc away after one sweep otherwise you keep recontaminating.
good luck,
Jim

jchappo
9th May 2012, 07:02 PM
Car spray painters use PrepSol. Designed to remove waxes etc before re-spraying.

Itchy57
10th May 2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks to all for your advice. It is much appreciated.

I again stripped back the shellac from the area and thoroughly cleaned it with alcohol. At first I had similar problems, but gradually I was able to build a reasonable amount of shellac over the area. After later rubbing back I now have a smooth surface that the shellac is covering as well as the rest of the surface. The damaged area is a little lighter in colour, but that doesnt worry me too much. If I am not happy with the final result, I will take it all back and try your suggestions.

Thanks

Tony