PDA

View Full Version : Simple tapering jig for making laminations

BenBrown
9th May 2012, 11:11 PM
I have made a series of laminations for a job i am working, after struggling for a way to create a taper of 3mm to 5mm i devised a plan that worked out nicely. Feel free to use it if you find yourself stuck

First off get yourself a nice piece of timber with none to minimal defects (twists, bows, cups) and cut straight edges on it using a table saw.
Next get two pieces of acrylic with a difference between the two sizes as the same difference you need (for me i had 3mm thick piece and 5mm thick piece at either end). use double sided tape to stick it to the piece of timber at the desired length. place the acrylic hard against the fence of the table saw and then run it through the blade. Screw on a piece of timber or acrylic as a stop for your timber to sit flush at the bottom and to help you push through the sled. make a straight edge on the timber need to be cut. remove acrylic from the sled of timber place the straight edge on the fence run the timber with the sled through the table saw, making sure you have set the table saw to the need size for your taper taking into account the width of the sled.

Best of luck to all of you :)