PDA

View Full Version : Harkaway Homes

silentC
22nd February 2005, 03:30 PM
Has anyone out there had dealings with this company?

Harkaway Homes (http://www.harkawayhomes.com.au/index.htm)

I like what I've seen so far. No BS on the phone, very helpful. Just wondering/hoping someone might have built or know someone who has. Seem to be more prominent in Victoria. They've won a Master Builders Excellence in Housing award 4 years running.

simon c
22nd February 2005, 03:44 PM
Harkaway Homes... Seem to be more prominent in Victoria.

Harkaway is a small town in Victoria, close to Berwick/Narre Warren (ie just East of Dandenong), which would explain the Victorian prominence.

I've no idea of their reputation, but woul dit be the same people who were doing your job or would they subcontract it to a local?

silentC
22nd February 2005, 03:49 PM
They're kit home suppliers, so most of the work is done in their factory in Melbourne or Sydney. They then freight it to you and erect the frame. You do the rest (or you arrange your own subbies to do it for you).

Gumby
22nd February 2005, 03:54 PM
They have built quite a few homes over the last 15 or so years , both as specs and as orders in the Rowville area which is close to where I work.
I haven't heard any bad reports

ozwinner
22nd February 2005, 06:39 PM
Never heard of them..

Al

Grunt
22nd February 2005, 07:00 PM
Never heard of them..

Al

They got Al's seal of approval.

ozwinner
22nd February 2005, 07:05 PM
Wheres Zed??

Harkaway Harkaway Harkaway, in a jungle a mighty jungle..................

Al :D

numbat
22nd February 2005, 09:18 PM
I also have not heard of them but their web site and their houses look very impressive.

Good luck.

Cheers

IanA
22nd February 2005, 10:05 PM
Their documentation is well prepared and presented. Always a good start.

A work colleague built one of their houses and had only good words for the company.

Harkaway may be able to tell you about any of their jobs in your area, if their clients have consented for this info to be available. Talking to customers is always worth the effort.

Toggy
22nd February 2005, 10:20 PM
IanA,

I seem to have read somewhere recently an article about the new insulation?? regulations; and even this mob (as well as all other kit homes) admitted that to comply with the new regs the houses would most likely have to have double glazing. Do you know anything of this claim?

Ken

silentC
23rd February 2005, 08:08 AM
Geez, I hope not. If so, it would apply to all houses, not just kit homes. A kit home is really just a package deal that supplies all the bits, you have to build it yourself and it is up to the owner builder to make sure it complies.

I know wall insulation is now a requirement - in NSW anyway. Harkaway doesn't supply interiors, so insulation isn't part of the deal. The other mob we're looking at is PAAL and they supply everything including the garden taps. You get 100mm batts for the ceiling and 75mm for the walls included in the price. No double glazing though.

Rocker
23rd February 2005, 12:42 PM
Double glazing? You must be closer to the Antarctic Circle down there than I had thought :D

Rocker

Termite
23rd February 2005, 01:02 PM
Wheres Zed??

Harkaway Harkaway Harkaway, in a jungle a mighty jungle..................

Al :D
I think you might have the wrong song mate, there was one many years ago by Dinah Lee, something about Dooway Harkaway :D

simon c
23rd February 2005, 01:10 PM
IanA,

I seem to have read somewhere recently an article about the new insulation?? regulations; and even this mob (as well as all other kit homes) admitted that to comply with the new regs the houses would most likely have to have double glazing. Do you know anything of this claim?

Ken

From July 2005 all new houises in Victoria need to have a 5 star energy rating and a method of water conservation (eg rainwater tank). Until then, all new houses need to have EITHER a 5 star rating OR a 4 star rating and a method of water conservation.

I'm not sure of other states and it depends which climate zone you are in.

Info is on www.abcb.gov.au

IanA
23rd February 2005, 07:47 PM
Toggy, SimonC is close to the mark.

It is extremely difficult for a house with a timber floor to achieve a 5 star rating. The use of double glazing may be necessary in order to get it across the line.

Simon mentions the climate zone, and this is important in the software used to assess the star rating. Double glazing in Darwin would be absurd, but would probably be good stuff in any area that has low winter temperatures. (Orange, Armadale and Bathurst would be good candidates in NSW but probably would be of marginal value in Sydney.)

SilentC, you are correct in saying that the problem does not apply just to kit homes. I'm not sure if Harkaway have an option to build on a concrete slab, but it would be worth checking out.
There are a number of products on the market that attempt to address the problem of insulation under a timber floor, not a simple one to solve. I seem to remember this issue being tossed around in an earlier thread.
Wall and ceiling insulation has been required in Vic for many years. (More than 15 years I think.)

Rocker
24th February 2005, 02:52 AM
SilentC,

When I lived in Colorado, where the winter temperatures can fall to minus 30°C, the living room in our house, which extended out over sloping ground, had a wooden floor. The floor was insulated by thick fibreglass batts between the floor joists. As far as I remember, the batts were held up by twine nailed to the joists. The insulation seemed to work pretty effectively.

Rocker

silentC
24th February 2005, 09:28 AM
The energy star rating stuff has been in force in Sydney since July last year but it is just filtering it's way down here. I don't think we are going to need double glazing here though, we don't get that hot or cold.

We can build a kit home on whatever floor we want. They don't provide the floor, so you build a slab or raised floor, or whatever you want. I must admit we would prefer a raised floor because we'd like floorboards, however it will probably be cheaper and more 'star rating' friendly to build on a slab.

seriph1
28th March 2005, 12:58 PM
Interesting that I JUST this minute binned some old Harkaway stuff in my vain effort to clean up.......

I have met the Harkaway people and feel they are at the top end of their market in quality. WHen I visited their display home in Pakenham(?) it presented beautifully which is to be expected - importantly, get really clear about what they do and what you have to do. From memory their prices were ok.

What type of home are you interested in as they do have a range.

If youre trying/hoping to get a true period feel, then consider the ceiling heights they have and have a very close look at the originals youre trying to emulate. They do have an outer-wall-system that goes a long way toward recreating the right look, but you know .....

have fun

:D

Grunt
1st April 2005, 01:37 PM
Hey Darren,

Have you had any more dealings with Harkaway? Ms. Grunt and I are seriously thinking about putting one of these on our property. We've bought a couple of these Kit Home mags and Harkaway had great looking houses.

Thinking I might take a year off and project manage the building process. Gotta be better than doing this computing stuff. Damn I hate computers.

Grunt

seriph1
1st April 2005, 01:43 PM
hi mate

duck down and see their display home - it is pretty good. Let me know if I can help.

have fun

silentC
1st April 2005, 01:45 PM
We decided on Kitome in the end. Really came down to cost. Harkaway are providing a top end product, with timber windows and so on. Unfortunately, when we looked at how much it was going to cost, we decided that for what we need to build (attached dual-occupancy about 50 squares in all) we simply couldn't afford to go with Harkaway.

I would have loved to have built one of their houses (something from the Pavillion Courtyard range). From the few conversations I had with them, it sounded like they are right into working with you on the floor plan, they almost force you to change it to suit your needs. I was impressed from that point of view.

The rule of thumb is to double the kit price and that gives you the rough finished cost. Go and have a look at their display house down there, I have no doubt you will be impressed.

Flower
14th May 2008, 12:39 PM
I have loved the Harkaway Homes for many years. We are currently looking at the option of extensions at our home in Nrthn Victoria.

The 45 year old house is a flat roof rectangle of 15 squares at the moment, and we want (and are only allowed) to ad 40 m2 or one room to the existing dwelling. We also want to put on a gabled/pitch roof and a double garage with a bedroom above which will adjoin the house. The house is currently on a mound and build on stumps with a timber floor.

The entire look we want is the Harkaway House - Pavillion Roofline with a verandah around the house. The end shape will effectively be a L.

As the current house is basically a box, we were wondering if it might be possible to simply kit over/around the existing house using the Harkaway kit as I understand the kit is simply the exterior of the house?

Cost wise not worth it? Barking up the wrong tree? Any ideas or thoughts?

silentC
14th May 2008, 01:34 PM
Best thing would be to contact them. Their kits are certainly not "out of the box" in that they tailor each one to the customer, so I don't see any reason they wouldn't do it.

Groggy
14th May 2008, 02:33 PM
As an aside, Beechwood homes went belly up this week.

dazzler
14th May 2008, 09:46 PM
Hi

looked at building one of these a few years ago. Seemed professional. One thing I liked was they had developed a hardiplank material that looked exactly like federation weatherboard. Not sure if it was correct, but they suggested that it was only made for thier homes and not the general market.

seriph1
14th May 2008, 11:50 PM
Flower - you definitely would not need to wrap your house in a Harkaway product - study their design and note those elements that you love then create your own, better design. One thing though - what do you mean by "only allowed to add 40 square metres"? If you only have a 20 square home, it will be a challenge to make it look like a 33 square Pavillion..... or am I missing something here? .... probably am :D:D:D

Flower
15th May 2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Seriph,

Our house is restricted on renovations due to the area it is located in - a flood area, you can only add 40 m2 on ground floor. We will also be adding a double drivethru garage 6x12m with a master bedroom and ensuite upstairs, so it will be a bit bigger. The measurements will be 28m x 22m which will include the verandah.

With further investigations, I feel that it wouldn't be the best option, it would be cheaper to use the same format but source the materials locally.

Many thanks

ausdesign
15th May 2008, 06:09 PM
Personally I've had no direct dealings with Harkaway & I don't want it to sound like an endorsement but the feed back I've had over the years is that they are good.
In Vic from the start of this month additions need to achieve a '5 Star Energy Rating Level'. If the extension or reno is greater than 50% of the existing then the entire home needs to be upgraded to comply.
Just thought I'd throw that in.