PDA

View Full Version : Which Way? (Men only I hope!)

Christopha
22nd February 2005, 08:28 PM
OK, my nearly beardless son has asked me to post a poll requesting whether to shave "With the grain" or "Against the grain."
I am an "Against the grain-er" myself.....

ozwinner
22nd February 2005, 08:37 PM
Is this one of them trick, are you gay or not questions? IE, with the grain, against the grain??

I of course voted with the grain!!

Al :confused:

bitingmidge
22nd February 2005, 09:11 PM
I pretty much go against the grain in everything.

P :p

Neal
22nd February 2005, 09:13 PM
Have to say against the grain . But just for the record i am not 'Gay'. :cool:

craigb
22nd February 2005, 09:16 PM
Well I do it both ways :eek: We are talking shaving right :D

Down one side of the boat race and up the other. :)

The closest shave results from going against the grain.

The smoothest? I dunno.

TassieKiwi
22nd February 2005, 10:11 PM
Apparently shaving against the grain is the chief cause of ingrown whishers and the dreaded pimply neck syndrome. I'm a with it grainer, and proud:D

MrFixIt
22nd February 2005, 10:22 PM
Hi

To be honest I am Bi!

Bi-grainial that is! :D

I usually go with the grain to get growth that is a few days old, then finish with a scrape against the grain.

Of course we all know the benefits of these "super duper" new *4* blade razors :D

I am waiting for the day when we get to about *16* blades - because surely if 3 is better than 2 and 4 is better than 3 then 16 MUST be better than 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15!

So at that point all we will need to do is one stroke down each side of the face and one for the chin and we're DONE! :D :D

Grunt
22nd February 2005, 10:36 PM
The Straight Dope Says:

Shaving seminar: (a) With the grain or against it? (b) Hot water or cold?

I get accused of giving very long answers, so here's a short one. Shaving against the direction of hair growth gives a closer shave, but has two drawbacks:

It's a good way to donate blood, and
You run a high risk of cutting off a hair below skin level, causing an ingrown hair--the whisker grows into the surrounding tissue instead of out of the pore, resulting in inflammation and possible infection.
To avoid these problems, shave "with the grain" (that is, in the direction your hair grows.) Each person's facial hair has its own growth pattern. If you are unsure of the direction of your beard, let it grow for a day or two and you'll see it.

Professional barbers, by the way, usually first shave with the grain, and then re-shave going sideways. I asked Cecil if there was enough money in the Straight Dope Research & Entertainment Fund for me to go to a barber so I could report back firsthand, but no dice.

That was the short answer, and those of you with short attention spans can now click elsewhere. For those who care, here's some additional information about shaving.

A male face has between 10,000 and 30,000 whiskers, with the average somewhere around 15,000 to 16,000. How they know this I don't know. I wouldn't like the job of counting and averaging.

Facial hair grows about 15/1000ths of an inch each day, or almost 6 inches a year. Shaving removes about 65 mg of whiskers daily, per male (on average). If you prefer, that's about a pound every 16 years. In the U.S., sales of razors (as distinct from blades, replacement cartridges, etc.) is around $90 million annually, of which about a third is for electric razors. . More than half of wet-shave razors that are sold are disposables. Total sales of replacement blades is in excess of $900 million, which is why the razor blade companies sometimes give away the razor. Who cares about the razor? They want to get you hooked on the blades.

So, how do you get a "perfect shave" if you don't go to a barber? I checked about half a dozen books in the library about male grooming, and they all pretty much said the same thing.

WET SHAVE WITH A BLADE

The consensus is that a wet shave is a closer shave. Take your time. You want your skin to be happy afterwards.

(1) Wash. Soften your beard by washing your face with warm water and mild soap. Don't use water that's too hot, that could cause complexion flare-ups. Give yourself a mild face massage by gently rubbing the soap into the skin. Rinse with warm water, to open the pores. When whiskers are soaked, they absorb the water, becoming swollen and weaker, which decreases their resistance to the blade.

(2) Moisturize. There's a whole range of shaving creams, shaving soaps, foams, gels, etc., to moisturize your skin. The shaving cream lubricates your face, so that the razor will glide smoothly across the surface. Shaving cream also locks the moisture into the whiskers, keeping them soft while at the same time holding them upright, primed for the knife. Leave the shaving cream on your face for at least a minute before you begin cutting, so that the beard is as soft and wet as possible. I know, sounds like foreplay. Shaving is one of those experiences that works on multiple levels.

(3) Back to reality. Cut. Which blade? You have choices between single, twin-edged, triple-edged or even quadruple-edged. (See Cecil's report on single vs. twin blades (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_183.html).) The act of shaving actually pulls your whiskers up slightly from the skin, so that a second blade about 60/1000ths of an inch behind the first blade can indeed cut the whisker again before it has a chance to recede. Thus, in theory, multiple edges give a closer shave. However, most men can't tell the difference between a double and single blade shave.

Be sure the blade is sharp. You're not just cutting off hair, you're also scraping off a tiny layer of skin when you shave. A dull blade is more traumatic to the skin, making your face feel scratchy and look blotchy. Change the blade somewhere between every two and every seven shaves, depending on the toughness of your beard. Two weeks is too long to go without changing blades. Regardless of the number of shaves, if the blade is dulled, ditch it.

Rinse your blade under hot water before you begin to shave and after every few swipes. This removes the accumulated shaving cream, whiskers, and skin goop. For a really close shave, remoisten the section you just shaved, by spreading a thin layer of lather from another area of your face, and then swiping that area again. Keep everything moist. (Note: The use of hot water here is to help lubricate, has nothing to do with "killing bacteria.")

Shave with the grain, as noted above. To repeat: Shaving against the grain will give you a closer shave, but risks cuts and ingrown hairs.

Start at the sideburns. End up at the chin and upper lip--the hair is denser there, and you're allowing the shaving cream to soften those hairs a little longer. Pulling your skin taut may give a slightly closer shave, but if you've prepared correctly, that will be minimal.

Don't overshave. Too much shaving will cause skin irritation and rashes.

Rinse the blade thoroughly before you put it away. (The water temperature isn't going to have any impact on bacteria; you're rinsing the blade to get rid of hairs, shaving cream, oils, and gunk, not to kill bacteria. You'd need to boil the razor for that.) Do NOT wipe the blade with a tissue or towel--that will just dull it faster.

(4) You've not only shaved away whiskers, you've exfoliated, i.e., removed dead skin cells by scraping off a layer of skin. That means your skin is left vulnerable after shaving. To protect your skin and look your best:

Splash warm water on your face after the shave, thoroughly rinsing away all residue
Now turn the water temperature down to cool and splash some more. This helps close the pores, sealing in the moisture.
Pat, don't rub, your face dry with a towel. Rubbing dry skin is bad, patting dry skin is good.
Apply a thin coat of moisturizer to the entire face and neck. This locks in the moisture and soothes the skin.
If you want to use aftershave or cologne, apply it lightly after the moisturizer is dry. The less the better, but it's not necessary. The moisturizer is a sufficient ending to a shave without need for later embellishment.
ELECTRIC SHAVES

Unlike blades, electric razors work by shearing the whiskers--the facial hair enters the perforated metal head(s) of the razor and is cut by the moving blades positioned inside. This tends to create ragged or sharp edges. If a hair happens to curve back toward the face, it can cause irritation, such as ingrown hairs. Basically, the electric razor is harsher on your skin than a blade. Electric razors are OK for emergencies, travel, or when you're in a hurry. But you'll get a better shave that's kinder to your skin with a blade.

For an electric razor, you want the hairs to be as dry and stiff and possible before you begin, so they are easier to shear once they've gotten inside the heads. This is exactly the opposite of the way you want your beard for a blade. In this case, do NOT start by washing your face. You could prep with a preshave lotion, these are alcohol-based products that dry up the oils and greases on your skin and make the whiskers stand straight up. They evaporate quickly, but may also contain additives that help lubricate your face.

If you have dry skin, don't bother with a preshave lotion--it will dry you even more.

There is some evidence that the rotary head design gives a more comfortable shave, but there is disagreement. Be sure to keep the electric razor clean, using that cute little brush after every shave. Replace the blades at the first sign of dullness.

Be gentle with the electric razor--don't grind the heads into your face. Let the razor do the work. Run the shaver over your face in the direction of the hair growth (with the grain) to get a smoother shave. After shaving, if the preshave lotion is still there, it'll feel greasy--rinse your face with warm water, then cool water, and then pat dry and apply a moisturizer to smooth the skin.

OTHER APPROACHES

You don't like shaving? Well, there are other things you can try. None of them really reflects the Guy Way, but science obliges us to consider every alternative:

Plucking. This takes a lot of patience and a great deal of masochism. With a good pair of tweezers, you can pluck hairs one at a time, but they will grow back and you can damage the hair follicle. However, you might want to tweeze eyebrows, ears, and around moles. You might numb the area first by holding an ice cube on the skin for a minute or two.

Electrolysis. Generally used for small areas of particularly annoying and visible hair. Women often use it to remove potential moustaches. Hair will usually grow back, although after several treatments, it may give up. Electrolysis is expensive and can permanently damage the skin. Check out professional references.

Laser removal. Follicles are permanently destroyed, although it may take several sessions, and it's way expensive. This should only be done by professionals.
None of the above good enough for you, Mr. Picky? You've got one last choice: Let it grow.If it worked for Abraham Lincoln, it can work for you.

Sturdee
22nd February 2005, 11:00 PM
Grunt,

Are you sure you haven't missed anything. :D

What about the battery operated shavers for when travelling? :D

Peter.

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2005, 11:03 PM
F'd if I know??? I'm still asleep when I shave!!! I've got no F'n idea. :confused:

& Grunt.... pearce oooofffffff. :D

AlexS
22nd February 2005, 11:10 PM
I'm bearded. If we'd been meant to shave, we'd have been born without whiskers.

The odd couple of times I've gone beardless, I found the easiest way was to drive the whiskers in with a hammer & bite 'em off inside.

Harry72
22nd February 2005, 11:13 PM
The razors I like are the ones I get 4 free... my employer supplys them to me!
But I got a goatee ATM, still on sick leave!

Grunt
22nd February 2005, 11:23 PM
Grunt.... pearce oooofffffff

I had to edit the post as it was more than the 10,000 character limit. So consider yourselves lucky.

I would grow a beard but Mrs. Grunt would leave me and I'm blessed with a beard that at best could be described as splotchy.

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2005, 11:53 PM
I had to edit the post as it was more than the 10,000 character limit. .......
You could have split it over 2 posts.... :D

Shaty40
23rd February 2005, 12:44 AM
I have had a full beard for the last 27 years, that post of grunts has just made me decide to keep it that way. l got sick of shaving reading it.

Tim:D :D :D :D

vsquizz
23rd February 2005, 12:58 AM
I always shave once a year wether I need it or not:D ...If it grows on your ass it can't be that important.

Cheers

outback
23rd February 2005, 07:40 AM
...If it grows on your ass it can't be that important.

Cheers
But a bald donkey would just look silly.

outback
23rd February 2005, 07:41 AM
...If it grows on your ass it can't be that important.

Cheers
But a bald donkey would just look silly.

Zed
23rd February 2005, 08:08 AM
jeezuz! Grunt! you're becoming more verbose than silent-chook. :-)

for the record I reckon the most importnatn thing isto use a blade thats sharp. diff areas of the face require dif techniques.

silentC
23rd February 2005, 08:17 AM
Definitely both ways. With first and then against to make sure you got the little bastards that only ducked the first time. I'm with squizzy but I usually manage once a week.

Iain
23rd February 2005, 08:44 AM
My mate Guiseppe's grandma reckons that a blade is best :D :D :D
How about waxing???

simon c
23rd February 2005, 08:51 AM
I don't get a very tough beard and my face hair grows slowly. My father was the same, didn't start shaving until he was 18. I have to shave against the grain otherwise nothing comes off.

Luckily, most of the energy that would have gone to creating hair that would normally grow on my face, arms, back, crack, etc comes out of my head instead.

My dogs, on the otherhand, have real facial hair problems - those eyebrows definately need sorting:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/manfred/dogs/dog1.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/manfred/dogs/dog2.jpg

Wood Borer
23rd February 2005, 08:59 AM
The only time I shave is when I'm testing my chisels and plane blades for sharpness. I normally run the blade along the top of my left arm in a direction from the wrist to my elbow.

I am not sure if this is with or against or sideways to the grain. If heaps of hairs are cut then I resume my woodwork, if not I keep honing.

Iain
23rd February 2005, 09:02 AM
could use your legs and then, well, you know the song, I'm a lumberjack........ :D

Wood Borer
23rd February 2005, 09:07 AM
I would use my chisels to shave my head too except I was blessed with a beautiful head like Christopha - the others grow hair to hide their ugliness. :eek:

silentC
23rd February 2005, 09:31 AM
Head hair is definitely over-rated.

bitingmidge
23rd February 2005, 09:54 AM
It is a scientific fact that when we are born, God gives us a certain amount of testosterone to use in our life.

Why some people waste it doing things like growing beards, and hair on their heads is beyond me.

P
:D :D :D

simon c
23rd February 2005, 10:19 AM
It is a scientific fact that when we are born, God gives us a certain amount of testosterone to use in our life.

Why some people waste it doing things like growing beards, and hair on their heads is beyond me.

P

Some of us just have so much of it, we can't stop it leaking out. :D

Termite
23rd February 2005, 10:42 AM

P
What else am I going to do with it, through certain circumstances my days of horizontal gymnastics are over :mad:

Wood Borer
23rd February 2005, 10:54 AM
What else am I going to do with it, through certain circumstances my days of horizontal gymnastics are over :mad:

But your LA plane would go part of the way of filling the void. :D

Termite
23rd February 2005, 10:59 AM
But your LA plane would go part of the way of filling the void. :D
OH YES! :D

Grunt
23rd February 2005, 11:33 AM
We're a sad lot getting excited by LA Planes. I suppose this is why we're called woodies.

Zed
23rd February 2005, 11:41 AM

P

it is my understanding that the medical fact is an excess of testosterone is what makes you go bald... so.... bad luck baldy!

Note "excessive testosterone" is only an advantage in competitive he-man sport events rather than " lovin' " so, please, no horseshyte re baldies are better lovers.... in fact I understand that there is a direct inverse relationship between excessive testosterone and willy size.

dont argue - i'm right, your wrong. get over it ! :D

silentC
23rd February 2005, 11:46 AM
You should know that without the testosterone that was formed in your mother's body when you were a wee little chimpy, you wouldn't have a todger at all. We all start out as females, and it is testosterone that makes us male. Therefore, the more testosterone, the more male. It is true that too much of it makes your hair fall out, so all you girly goldylockses with your girly hair need to realise who the real men are. :D

bitingmidge
23rd February 2005, 11:50 AM
when you were a wee little chimpy, you wouldn't have a todger at all. We all start out as females,

Actually Silent, that's not the way I heard it.

My understanding is that we are all BORN male, then on the first night after we are born, the nurse pulls the willys off the silly ones.

P(at least that's what I've always told my girls....)

simon c
23rd February 2005, 11:54 AM
So when does the sugar and spice and all things nice and puppy dog's tails and brown paper packages tied up with string come into it?

Grunt
23rd February 2005, 11:58 AM
If the girls are made of sugar and spice why do they smell like anchovies?

silentC
23rd February 2005, 11:58 AM
:D

It's quite an interesting theory actually. The theory is that the testosterone is released in a few spurts during the time in the womb. The first lot makes you a boy (makes your tackle start to grow). The subsequent ones give you other male attributes, like an attraction to power tools, jelly wrestling and such.

With some individuals, the latter doses aren't strong enough or missing altogether, so you end up with blokes what think they's girls, or blokes with male fancying, pillow biting tendencies, blokes who don't like cricket, or just blokes in touch with their feminine sides.

And then there's Zed :D :D

Kev Y.
23rd February 2005, 12:03 PM

OOOHHH Grunt :eek: .. where is when you need him? :cool:

Just for the record, I am BI-grainial as well

Termite
23rd February 2005, 12:25 PM
OOOHHH Grunt :eek: .. where is when you need him? :cool:

Just for the record, I am BI-grainial as well
Bi-grainial, oh yeah, I got a helluva bagging when I said in another thread that I was Bimeasuremental.
Does being bi-grainial mean that no matter which way someone rubs you up, it will be the wrong way? :D

Kev Y.
23rd February 2005, 01:30 PM
;)

You could say that.. it has been mentioned that I have TWO wrong sides on my bed :p :p

Wood Borer
23rd February 2005, 01:33 PM
Does that mean you get out of bed on the wrong side every day?

Christopha
23rd February 2005, 01:47 PM
Does that mean you get out of bed on the wrong side every day?

Kev is never OUT of bloody bed, he even thinks that laying in bed yelling "Oh God, OH GOD!!" on sunday mornings constitutes a church service!

Wood Borer
23rd February 2005, 01:54 PM
Kev is never OUT of bloody bed, he even thinks that laying in bed yelling "Oh God, OH GOD!!" on sunday mornings constitutes a church service!

That is a good and witty reply Christopha.

MathewA
23rd February 2005, 03:54 PM
I use wax... Oh! you mean the face:o In that case I'm a wimp, I use an electric razor.

MathewA
23rd February 2005, 04:01 PM
Sooo what yer sayin is you were born with a full beard. Yer not in the circus by any chance are ya:D

The odd couple of times I've gone beardless, I found the easiest way was to drive the whiskers in with a hammer & bite 'em off inside.

MathewA
23rd February 2005, 04:07 PM
And they've been in therapy ever since:D

Actually Silent, that's not the way I heard it.

My understanding is that we are all BORN male, then on the first night after we are born, the nurse pulls the willys off the silly ones.

P(at least that's what I've always told my girls....)

MathewA
23rd February 2005, 04:08 PM
I always thought it was tuna...

MathewA
23rd February 2005, 04:15 PM
So what you're saying... guys who didn't get enough testosterone grow up to work in an office.

:D

It's quite an interesting theory actually. The theory is that the testosterone is released in a few spurts during the time in the womb. The first lot makes you a boy (makes your tackle start to grow). The subsequent ones give you other male attributes, like an attraction to power tools, jelly wrestling and such.

With some individuals, the latter doses aren't strong enough or missing altogether, so you end up with blokes what think they's girls, or blokes with male fancying, pillow biting tendencies, blokes who don't like cricket, or just blokes in touch with their feminine sides.

And then there's Zed :D :D

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 04:46 PM
Against the grain, if I don't, it doesn't work.

Robert WA
23rd March 2005, 01:02 AM
I thought alopecia was a South American animal with a woolly coat.

ryanarcher
23rd March 2005, 03:43 AM
Have to say against the grain . But just for the record i am not 'Gay'. :cool:

Well if your not happy, maybe you should try shaving the other way. :) :rolleyes:

Iain
23rd March 2005, 08:18 AM
I thought alopecia was a South American animal with a woolly coat.
Not to be confused with a Tibetan spiritual leader :p