PDA

View Full Version : Fluoro downlights

VinoTinto
22nd February 2005, 09:36 PM
the last thread on downlights obviously sparked (mmmh-sorry...!) some interest-I'm starting a new one to keep the topic a bit "leaner".
Captain Caveman mentioned some new Fluoro downlights (240V) which look very promising given the generally negative comments on the halogen versions.
Anybody tried 'em?
Strangley, my sparky (no, that's not his name..!) today asked me to buy iron core x-formers- because he said the electronic ones were cr*p and a manufacturers "mistake".
So now I'm really confused after all the posts extolling the virtues of electronic trannies!
I am lighting a new rectangular extension 45 sqm with cathedral ceilings (11'). The plan was to run two suspended filament lamps ie old fashioned pendant style, hung from the apex. and a row of downlights each side to light the "ailses".
Any ideas?]
Vino

MrFixIt
22nd February 2005, 10:13 PM
Strangley, my sparky (no, that's not his name..!) today asked me to buy iron core x-formers- because he said the electronic ones were cr*p and a manufacturers "mistake".
[snip]
Any ideas?]
Vino
Yes CHANGE ELECTRICIAN!!!

Iron core transformers are NOT efficient! You can EASILY judge this becasue they get HOT! The iron core uses some of the electricity in the process of "transforming" the voltage, this is why they get hot!

Certainly though there ARE crap electronic transformers, just like there are more or less crap in all manufactured "things" - the old adage "You only get what you pay for (IMHO) IS ALWAYS true". There are crap iron core transformers. Your electrician seems to be just the proverbial "wire jerker" not necessarily up to date with "electronics", and that's ok if that's all he does, no offence meant if he is not "into" electronics.

You don't have to "pay through the nose" for a non-crap unit, just shop wisely.

Electronic transformers are definately the way to go :D

Cliff Rogers
22nd February 2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah what Peter said....
Iron core transformers are NOT efficient at 50hz.

Some of the electronic ones are crap, the trick is to NOT ask the sparky 'cos he's had his fingers burnt (pun?) & he now hates them.
His problem is that he bought cheap ChIna-EsE sheyet & didn't do his homework.

Go & ask a lighting shop or 2. Tell them that you want a RELIABLE brand & not crap.

See also this post.....
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=124231

jimc
24th February 2005, 04:18 PM
Check www.neco.com.au (http://www.neco.com.au) They have compact flouro downlights that fit in 240v halogen holders. I have two and they dont lie when they clain the 9w bulb is a bright as a 50w halogen.

They connect into the same 240v fitting without alteration, alltough I dont think they can be dimmed.

Flyboy
1st March 2005, 12:12 PM
G'day jimc,

Just wanted to ask you if they were the GU10 fitting you replaced the halogens with and (if you can remember) 120mm or 140mm. Rang neco but they were'nt much help. Have you found any downsides to having the fluros (apart from they can't be dimmed).

Cheers

jimc
1st March 2005, 12:31 PM
Yep they were the GU10 fixed fitting PLUS the 9w globe.

They take approx 20 - 30 seconds to start all the flouro tubes inside the unit and takes approx 40 seconds to achieve full brightness.

The only downside, if you can call it that....they are bloody expensive compared to bayonet compact flouro globes.

Speaking with the lads at Neco, they rockon they are going to try to get these globes into the big stores...like Bunnings etc, but they have no time frame.

Cheers

Metung
23rd March 2005, 04:42 PM
I tried one of these fluros in a 240v halogen fitting and was most disappointed as I am about to build a house and thought these would be perfect. The globe was extremely bright but gave very little light. Fortunately the people at Beacon lighting sold it to me on approval ($22 each) so I was able to get a refund.

Wildman
24th March 2005, 03:39 AM
I havent had an electronic transformer fail yet, but did have 3 (out of 15) iron core fail over a 3 year period. And they get extremely hot. I replaced them with electronic and in my new house have all electronic. I dont go through globes like I used to, and still have the cheap globes the kits came with, have not had a single globe go in 6 months. The iron core just go on, the electronic ones I have fade in to full brightness over about a second and I think are easier on the globes as a result. The filaments also dont hum when dimmed with electronic transformers (both using training edge dimmers). I personally love the 12V light and while they are expensive to run, hot and may give glare if you wear glasses, they give a much nicer lighting effect IMHO. If cost of running is an issue, wire them on multiple circuits so they dont all go on with one switch (double switches dont cost much more than singles). You wont need them all on all the time and it saves a heap in power costs.

Do yourself a favour and have a good think about placement though, also buy two globes, a standard angle and a wide angle and compare them before you buy them all. You have very high ceilings so the standards wont spot much. Conversly the wide may not throw enough light over that distance and you may need more even though they give more even light. It is a personal preference.

Cheers
Ben