PDA

View Full Version : First time turning

bassmansimon
12th May 2012, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first turning off my lathe purchased recently - a Jet 1220VS.

I did the intro course at Trend Timber in western Sydney last weekend, but other than that, I'm a total novice. This is the first thing to come off my lathe.

I made it today as a Mother's Day present for you know who. She was very impressed, and I'd be keen to hear your feedback. Camphor laurel, finished only with the abrasive polish UBeaut EEE Ultra Shine, but no wax or anything.

Is this an acceptable finish?

Skewturn
12th May 2012, 10:17 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Looks great, mum will be pleased.
Turning is fun isn't it. Cheers Skewturn

BobL
12th May 2012, 10:20 PM
Finish looks fine, well done.
In terms of design the bowl could be a little thinner.
Either way it's a good first effort. :2tsup:

Scott
12th May 2012, 10:20 PM
Is this an acceptable finish?

Great first off piece, you've got the knack pretty much straight off. Not an acceptable finish as far as the EEE goes, you'll need some sort of wax/shellac finish over the top. Just using EEE will give it a nice shine but the shine will fade fast. The most easiest finish is UBeaut's Shellawax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/shell.html). Easy to use but read the instructions though.

dai sensei
12th May 2012, 10:42 PM
EEE is not a finish, you will need something over it, like Shellewax of Glow

bassmansimon
12th May 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks Scott. Don't want to get into bad habits too soon.
A little off topic - can you sign your work with an Arline / Sharpie pen after EEE but before the shellawax?

bassmansimon
12th May 2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks Neil. I've got a jar of shellawax cream which I will coat it with next weekend

Scott
12th May 2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks Scott. Don't want to get into bad habits too soon.
A little off topic - can you sign your work with an Arline / Sharpie pen after EEE but before the shellawax?

No Problems. Not sure about the last question, haven't tried. Can't see why not. Try it out on a test piece if you have any Camphor left over.

smiife
12th May 2012, 10:50 PM
looks good,wish my first bowl looked that good
my favourite timber C.L.allways finishes nicely
well done i am sure mum will be happy with that:2tsup:
cheers smiife:2tsup:

dr4g0nfly
13th May 2012, 05:55 AM
Everyone else has said enough about the need to finish etc., I'll just say if it's you first you've done very well.

I do love the grain in Camphor laurel.

orraloon
13th May 2012, 12:53 PM
A good start to turning. I like the shape too. You have avoided the ashtray or dog's bowl shape most first timers knock out.
Regards
John

turnerted
13th May 2012, 04:48 PM
A good first effort . Finish as others have said .
I think you would be best to sign it after you have finished putting all the finish on it .I think shellawax would take it off . Turn up a scrap and try different ways of signing it.
I use a balltip pen labled " mitsubishi pencil co."available in various colours and tip sizes . Let dry for half an hour after you sign it before you touch it . If you make a mistake,you can easily wipe it off if you do it straight away.
I find fibre tip pens are good at the start but the tip soon deteriates.
Ted

bassmansimon
13th May 2012, 07:12 PM
thanks Ted.
and thanks everyone for your helpful advice on finishes, and your feedback on the bowl.

I stuffed up with the base a bit but I guess you need to do it to learn. I measured my chuck as 52mm and made the base exactly 52mm so it wouldn't leave ugly marks from having too large a base. But because it was 52mm where I was measuring it (the outside of the base), the inside dimensions on the dovetailed base would have been 50-51mm, and this led to big dramas when turning the front of the bowl.

a thin strip of 320g sandpaper around the foot gave it the extra width needed for a solid hold in the chuck.

note to self: think more clearly when measuring base, and learn how to make a recess instead of foot. Can always go bigger if in trouble with a recessed base i guess.