PDA

View Full Version : Oilstone flattening

Bernie Summers
27th June 2000, 10:00 PM
Seeing no one will answer my post on Eze-Lap & DMT Whetstones (see under "Chistle & plane sharpeners" in this forum)...
How about some advise on how to flatten out an old, dished oilstone ?
Bernie

bobmundy
27th June 2000, 11:20 PM
Bernie,
Try a straight piece of concrete with a good dose of water as lubricant and rub the stone in a cicular or figure 8 motion. You will notice the surface straightening. Just be patient and rotate the stone occasionally.

------------------
Bob-
You won't get a second chance to make a good first impression...

ubeaut
28th June 2000, 01:31 AM
Add a handfull of sand from time to time to the water and the flatening will go faster.

You can also use an old piece of glass with water and vaulve grinding paste in the same fashion. And as Bob said, be patient. It is by no means a quick process.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

RFNK
29th June 2000, 08:13 PM
I don't know anyone who's patient enough to flatten an oilstone with valve grinding paste on glass! I buy that really crappy, coarse sandpaper you can buy in rolls at swap meets and markets, I clip it to a flat piece of glass and I rub the stones on that. I use water or kero for lubrication as it washes out the mud from the stone. This system works really well for oilstones and water stones.

Bernie Summers
24th July 2000, 11:03 PM
Not only did I flatten my oilstone but I cleaned the concrete as well!
Thanks fellas.
Bernie

Bernie Summers
24th July 2000, 11:05 PM
Actually, I didn't use water just a figure 8 on dry concrete seemed to work fine.
Bernie

johnvrecycled
19th August 2009, 03:11 AM
I just got off the phone with Norton Tech support, I was curious on using a 20 grit Norton rubbing stone to flatten my oil stone. I was told it would work but could leave my stone a bit coarse. If I followed up with a piece of higher grit emory on a solid flat surface it would probably smooth it out. I found the norton rubbing stones relatively inexpensive, and could probably find other uses for it here around the house as well. I was aslo told that my new waterstone flattening stone would work aswell, but it would probably wear the flattening stone down relatively fast. I purchased the flattening stone specifically to resurface my waterstones so I will probably go with the rubbing stone more than likely.

Eldanos of KDM
20th August 2009, 12:19 PM
I was waiting nine years for a good answer to that one:)

kiwioutdoors
20th August 2009, 04:57 PM
I would go with plasterers sanding mesh on glass with lots of water