PDA

View Full Version : help with missing Jet part

Lumber Bunker
14th May 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi Guys,

If any one owns a JET 12-20 Midi lathe... can you please help a guy in need

I've attached a picture from the marts manual.
I need the mesurements for part #64 so as i may make a new one. I have a mate that can turn one up in a few minutes or i can wait for the part to come from OS.

anyways, over zealous tighting of the tail stock caused the thread on the bolt to strip clean off, I removed it to keep it safe and have now lost it.

so can someone please take some measurements for me please. Length, thickness, position of hole, etc etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help :)

Steve Thomas

bassmansimon
15th May 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Steve,
I've got one. It's at my dads place at the moment but will measure for you when I get a chance to go there next.

I assume that part 81 simply unbolts, allowing it to come out and measure?

I've been meaning for an excuse to learn how to remove the tail stock, because it gets in the way of my first bowl I turned the other day.

Any assistance in getting the thing off will be rewarded with measurements :)

Simon

Cliff Rogers
15th May 2012, 01:54 PM
I've been meaning for an excuse to learn how to remove the tail stock, because it gets in the way of my first bowl I turned the other day.

Any assistance in getting the thing off will be rewarded with measurements :)

Simon
Doesn't it just slide right out of the end of the lathe bed? :?

bassmansimon
15th May 2012, 01:56 PM
Nope. Hits a stopper when sliding all the way to the end.
I didnt expect that, because you can purchase bed extensions for that lathe, to presumably slide the tail stock all the way close and very far away without having to muck around at the join

Cliff Rogers
15th May 2012, 04:26 PM
Maybe the stopper is removable. :think:

BobL
15th May 2012, 04:32 PM
The exact same doohickey failed on my woodfast but it was not the threads that stripped rather the side of the pin where the hole makes it thin gave way.

This happened in the first few weeks of purchase.
Carbatech replaced the part but I ended up turning myself a new bolt in which the sides were twice as thick as the original.

petersemple
15th May 2012, 05:13 PM
My memory is that the jet lathes are exactly the same as the MC900/1100. If that is the case then the standard places that sell the chinese lathes would have a compatible part.

Grumpy John
15th May 2012, 06:01 PM
Maybe the stopper is removable. :think:

It is :D.

Cliff Rogers
15th May 2012, 10:09 PM
It is :D.
We still talking about the lathe or have we moved onto wine? :p

Lumber Bunker
15th May 2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks Simon that will be great!

no the nut can stay on, you have to remove the cir. clip, that holds the cam (part 58) it's pretty simple.

as for the spare parts guys, I was speaking with Garry Pye the other day, he had never hear of one failing, and short of ordering on special from Tawian, he had no solution.

I made a make shift one from timber but it failed the other day. and i don't fancy making a new timber version every few weeks.

will sit tight and await measurements.

Cheers guys,

Steve

Acco
15th May 2012, 10:39 PM
I have the 1014 mini, I would imagine them to be the same, can measure it tomorrow arvo if needed.

Lumber Bunker
16th May 2012, 08:43 AM
I recon that they would be the same too?

Lumber Bunker
17th May 2012, 07:13 PM
Simon, how did you get on?

DJ if you've got nothing to do some time this week it would be great to get the measurements

Acco
17th May 2012, 07:49 PM
G'day Steve

Pulled the Clamp Bolt out this arvo and have just drawn up all the measurements in Paint for you.

Let me know if you need more.

bassmansimon
17th May 2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry Steve I've been in Canberra for two days of meetings.
I'm back in Sydney tonight but as I said the lathe is at my dad's place. I hope to get there on the weekend and will check for you. I'll double check against the measurements provided by DJ but suspect they will be the same

Lumber Bunker
17th May 2012, 10:11 PM
Perfect!!!

Now to call in a favour.
Thank you so much DJ.

bassmansimon
19th May 2012, 12:48 PM
All measured up on the 1220. Very similar to DJ's. From my (plastic manual calipers) measurements, the only difference was with the screw thread end.

Where DJ's was 29mm mine is 27mm. Total length is 67mm. I don't think the length of the screw thread (or the width for that matter) is particularly important though. The screw thread (exterior) on mine was 9.5mm.

Simon.

Acco
19th May 2012, 02:14 PM
Mine was closer to 27mm but I made it 29mm as I noticed that end was still inside the nut, so a extra couple of mm would make the end flush with the nut :2tsup:

Lumber Bunker
19th May 2012, 08:13 PM
great thanks boys.
So yes they are both the same. file that for future reference.

Thanks again.

Steve

Lumber Bunker
8th June 2012, 07:19 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/7cab26c4-b52c-ad7e.jpg

Haha!
Sorted.
Thank you all for your help. Very helpful
And I'm stoked to have the lathe up and running again.

Cheers all.

bassmansimon
8th June 2012, 07:25 PM
Nice work! Looks like good quality workmanship there

Acco
8th June 2012, 07:25 PM
:2tsup:

Lumber Bunker
9th June 2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, it's great workmanship my friend works for an engineering co. In orange. His skills are top notch.