PDA

View Full Version : Book review

morrisman
15th May 2012, 11:24 AM
Hi

I recently got hold of WORKHOLDING IN THE LATHE by Tubal Cain. Workshop Practice Series No. 15

It was a bargain at about $7 Aust. from a UK seller .

Just over 100 pages . A downside is: the numerous B&W photos are rather small and over exposed , making it difficult to see any detail.

The book is somewhat dated , being originally published in the 1980's and there isnt any mention of ER collets for example. It is still in print and a few updated areas would be welcome.

The author has a somewhat awkward writing style, not as easy to read as Harold Hall for example . Still, he goes into great detail, describing the standard chucks and their limitations or advantages .

Chapters are

Between Centres
Faceplate work
Chuckwork general
The universal or independant chuck
The Self centring chuck
Unusual chucks
Collets
Work steadies
Lathe alignment

For the money, it's a great buy .

Mike

Ueee
15th May 2012, 12:21 PM
"Hi folks, this is tubal cain"
He has heaps of good vids on utube, but I could imagine his writing style would be a bit strange. I think he was a school or tafe teacher.
I have ordered Laws book on gear cutting and Halls book on grinding tools from arceuro with my oilers and the blank end arbours.
I think most of you know by now that those of us with Halls milling and turning books think they are great, good b & w pics and sketches.

Ewan

morrisman
15th May 2012, 12:30 PM
Hi Ewan

Yes I thought the same , I wondered about the Tubal Cain thing. But after reading this book , Im not sure its the same person. This author 'CHAP' appears to be a pommy .

I've watched most of the U tube Cain videos .. yes he is rather unique and quirky .

BTW , the name is from the old testament , he was a metal worker :o So my religous neighbours tell me .

Stustoys
15th May 2012, 01:01 PM
As I understand it, its a pen name(used by more than a few over the years)
'TUBAL CAIN' (http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=10177.0)

Stuart

jack620
15th May 2012, 08:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the YouTube Tubal-cain and the author Tubal-cain aren't the same bloke. The YouTube bloke is brilliant.

franco
16th May 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi Ewan

Yes I thought the same , I wondered about the Tubal Cain thing. But after reading this book , Im not sure its the same person. This author 'CHAP' appears to be a pommy .

I've watched most of the U tube Cain videos .. yes he is rather unique and quirky .

BTW , the name is from the old testament , he was a metal worker :o So my religous neighbours tell me .

The Tubal Cain who wrote numerous articles for Model Engineer and several books in the Workhop Practice series and elsewhere was Tom Walshaw. See here for further details and a list of his books:
Tom Walshaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw)

The maker of the videos is mrpete222, otherwise Lyle Peterson, apparently a retired metalworking shop teacher. A Google search turns up numerous machining oriented videos by this author.

Frank.

Dave'H
17th May 2012, 09:29 AM
Hi,

I have to say this; the Tubal Cain on a lot of the U tube video's is an imposter. Easy to see the proper Tubal Cain does not have an American accent.

Chapter 7 Collets,
Although the book does not mention ER collets by name, Schaublin collets (similar to ER collects) are discussed.

Useful book, if only for the occasional reference :U

Dave'H