PDA

View Full Version : My HSC Major Project

DanVY
17th May 2012, 12:42 AM
Hey guys, this is my first post on here. I really like the forums, i have been browsing threads for a while now and have gotten some useful advice from them!

Anyway, i'm Daniel and I'm currently in year 12 constructing my woodwork major project.

It has been alot of fun so far and i have really enjoyed it. I am making a chessboard coffee table. I just thought i would show you guys some photos of my project so you can check it out and tell me what you think. ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

The table is made out of Tasmanian Oak. I have put a few bit of time into this project so far. I have stayed after school for many hours and have only missed 1 lesson due to being sick. So far i have made 4 legs, a frame, and i am working on the draw as we speak. I still have a few months to finish my project so i am in no rush what so ever. I have also done around 60 pages of my folio (i knocked a good part of it out during my free time in the holidays). I am trying to make this project as nice as possible as it's a present to my mum to say thank you for putting up with me and getting me through school.

Here are the 4 legs i craved on the lathe. It took me around 2 hours to do each one, and add another hour for sanding, so i was pretty proud of myself with the finished result

I tried my best getting the frame as good as possible, i am really happy as there is no wobble and it is straight!

Here the frame is together!

Here i am making the guide for the draw

And i took this photo today, the draw should be done by the end of next week and i can start on my top

I am going to make the chessboard myself, and if i have time the chess pieces. I tried craving 1 on the lathe but i found it is going to be pretty hard to make a full set of them!

Anyways sorry for the long post, tell me what yous think!

Dengue
17th May 2012, 08:42 AM
Well done Daniel, looking good.

How did you join the rails to the beautifully turned legs?

Also, how did you join the drawer guide timber to the rails?

dr4g0nfly
17th May 2012, 08:45 AM
I'd like to say it's looking good and well done.

We get quite a few questions about school woodwork projects, but I think this is the first time I've seen pictures of the work in progress. So I hope you'll keep posting and show us the final piece as well.

:2tsup:

The Bleeder
17th May 2012, 08:57 AM
Nice work :2tsup: ....but photo no 3 tells a story...what happened...

DanVY
17th May 2012, 05:18 PM
Well done Daniel, looking good.

How did you join the rails to the beautifully turned legs?

Also, how did you join the drawer guide timber to the rails?

I used mortise and tenon to attach the table legs to the rail and the the draw guide has 3 pieces of timber glued and nailed on the rails so the guide stays in place, not sure what they call this.

This photo only shows 1 piece of timber, i put another 2 on the ends of this sticking up

I'd like to say it's looking good and well done.

We get quite a few questions about school woodwork projects, but I think this is the first time I've seen pictures of the work in progress. So I hope you'll keep posting and show us the final piece as well.

:2tsup:

Thanks! i will keep up the pictures :)

Nice work :2tsup: ....but photo no 3 tells a story...what happened...

DanVY
29th May 2012, 09:03 PM
95% complete draw, starting the top next week

The Bleeder
30th May 2012, 10:52 AM

Sorry I should have replied sooner. Been rather busy work wise.

The leg on the front left is orientated differently to the other three. Look at the laminations. It's going to give it a nice talking point.

corbs
30th May 2012, 05:44 PM
... I am trying to make this project as nice as possible as it's a present to my mum to say thank you for putting up with me and getting me through school. ...

Looks good so far... I like the sentiment in your quoted bit above. Remember, be nice to your Mum:2tsup::)

The leg on the front left is orientated differently to the other three. Look at the laminations. It's going to give it a nice talking point.

I bet it hadn't even been noticed until you said that :wink:. My sister has a coffee table and the alignment of a drawer is at 90 degrees to the rail it's in. Until I pointed it out she hadn't noticed and now it annoys her so much she has turned the table around so she can't see the drawer:B

ian
30th May 2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry I should have replied sooner. Been rather busy work wise.

The leg on the front left is orientated differently to the other three. Look at the laminations. It's going to give it a nice talking point.quirky

wheelinround
31st May 2012, 10:51 AM
Bleeder is right one leg orientation is off :doh: If done on purpose a good talking point. If not an easy fix if you can seperate without to much damage.

Looking forward to the completed task:2tsup:

ian
31st May 2012, 06:50 PM
Bleeder is right one leg orientation is off :doh: If done on purpose a good talking point. If not an easy fix if you can seperate without to much damage.I'd leave the leg as it is and incorporate a matching or complimentary "miss-match" into the drawer front and/or table top

I'd then call the piece something like "missed match"

Also, don't forget there's a correct and incorrect orientation for the chess board top.

DanVY
4th June 2012, 02:49 AM
Damn i didn't even realise that ! didn't mean to do it like that, the legs are perfectly square but still

Got the top going on this week

DanVY
20th June 2012, 09:18 PM
Top is finished, just got to router out room for a chessboard, make that up, pop it in and attach the top of the table, send it off to be sprayed (stain + laquar) put the handle on the draw and make up some chess pieces with a 3D printer and i'm done

I'm very happy with it

wheelinround
21st June 2012, 09:35 AM
Looks good.

What became of the leg I hope you left it as a conversational piece?

3d printed Chess pieces wow you have a 3d printer?

Saw some real unusual chess pieces in a gift store they were excellent.

keep the WiP coming.

DanVY
23rd June 2012, 10:25 PM
Looks good.

What became of the leg I hope you left it as a conversational piece?

3d printed Chess pieces wow you have a 3d printer?

Saw some real unusual chess pieces in a gift store they were excellent.

keep the WiP coming.

Yeah i just left the leg

We have a 3D printer at our school infact here are some chess pieces i designed myself, just the pawn, will probably print it next week as a test

wheelinround
24th June 2012, 09:52 AM
Looks good

DanVY
5th July 2012, 01:56 AM
Here's a little update. I've been working on it a few days during the holidays.

I put 4 supports on the corner so i can screw the top on when it's done.

I started making the chessboard by gluing 4 pieces of Jarrah and 4 pieces of Tasmanian Oak together.

The next day i cut equal parts of the opposite side of the piece.

Here's how it turned out.

Then i simply turned the every second piece around and glued it back together.

Next was putting the board on top of the table to see what it would look roughly look like.

After that i made a jig to know where i was going to router without making any mistakes.

I didn't router the full depth as i wanted to take my time and do it right. So here's one layer down.

Should be able to finish that on monday when i go in again.

Any comments and feedback would be appreciated :)

3 toed sloth
5th July 2012, 08:01 AM
Looking good Daniel, making good progress and chess board turned out very well. It's getting close to crunch time, good luck!:2tsup:

DanVY
5th July 2012, 05:08 PM
Looking good Daniel, making good progress and chess board turned out very well. It's getting close to crunch time, good luck!:2tsup:

DanVY
11th July 2012, 10:17 PM
Finished routering out the place for the chessboard

Chessboard got put it and weights got put on it

Took the weights off, now i wish i put the chessboard the other way because of the gain, but i like the idea of it standing out

Just need to run it though a drum sander

3 toed sloth
11th July 2012, 10:29 PM
Going well, on the home stretch.:2tsup:

dabbler
13th July 2012, 12:34 PM
Looks good Daniel. I'm glad you've kept up the WIP photos.

I wouldn't worry about the grain v. orientation. Some people like contasting a feature component (me) and some like matching features.

One question - is the board oriented correctly for play.

ian
13th July 2012, 08:24 PM
hi Daniel
I think you have the board the wrong way round
see this http://0.tqn.com/d/chess/1/0/C/-/-/-/EmptyBoard.gif
don't despair, it sounds like your teacher is none the woser, or maybe cut your board out using a Fein oscillating saw, or the cheap copy that's been advertised on Chanel 10 this week, and reorientate
cover the small gap using a thin contrasting strip

if you send the top through the drum sander as it is, the board will be sanded cross grain
this suggests that you will need to spend some time final sanding with a random orbit sander

DanVY
31st July 2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, i just took it into a factory where they are going to use a drum sander to sand it down and stain it for me, picked a colour out, prepare for some photos when i get it back on friday :)

I am most likey going to put the draw handle on and attact the table top to the frame on friday as well.

wheelinround
31st July 2012, 08:50 PM
hi Daniel
I think you have the board the wrong way round
see this http://0.tqn.com/d/chess/1/0/C/-/-/-/EmptyBoard.gif
don't despair, it sounds like your teacher is none the woser, or maybe cut your board out using a Fein oscillating saw, or the cheap copy that's been advertised on Chanel 10 this week, and reorientate
cover the small gap using a thin contrasting strip

if you send the top through the drum sander as it is, the board will be sanded cross grain
this suggests that you will need to spend some time final sanding with a random orbit sander

I could be wrong Ian as I do not play chess but if you look at the table from the other side its fine.

wheelinround
31st July 2012, 08:51 PM
I look forward to seeing the finished table

ian
31st July 2012, 10:02 PM
I could be wrong Ian as I do not play chess but if you look at the table from the other side its fine.
Hi Ray
the rule is "white [square] on right"
if you want to play along the table, Daniel has got it the right way

but reaching the board from the ends?
I'd prefer to play across the table, is a shorter reach to the pieces

but as I said earlier, if Daniel's teacher is none the wiser, why should we tell the teacher ?

floody_85
31st July 2012, 10:47 PM
Teriffic job so far Daniel! It's turning out really well.

DanVY
4th August 2012, 10:41 PM
Cheers guys :) they have delayed the pickup time until sunday as they have been super busy, which means i will be going over tomorrow to pick it up :) will post some photos tomorrow night !

DanVY
5th August 2012, 06:59 PM
Got it :D

Just need to attach the top to the frame and the handle to the draw.

wheelinround
6th August 2012, 10:11 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Daniel it looks great nice satin look finish?

Pieces look good too.

IanW shows how much I know about Chess:doh:

The Bleeder
6th August 2012, 11:19 AM
Hi Ray
the rule is "white [square] on right"
if you want to play along the table, Daniel has got it the right way

but reaching the board from the ends?
I'd prefer to play across the table, is a shorter reach to the pieces

but as I said earlier, if Daniel's teacher is none the wiser, why should we tell the teacher ?

It's a left handed chess board.....:U:doh:

wheelinround
6th August 2012, 05:07 PM
It's a left handed chess board.....:U:doh:

No its an Aussie Chess board played from downunder:p

DanVY
6th August 2012, 11:44 PM
Attached the table top tonight!

Last step will be the handle on the draw, but we had some problems with the face of the draw so that won't be done until Thursday!

Time to go to bed and get some sleep, i have a big day of folio work ahead of me :no:

wheelinround
7th August 2012, 09:40 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Love the safety gear all good woodies rock along to some music.:U

DanVY
7th August 2012, 05:43 PM
Cheers :)

Heres what my folio looks like ! just need a few more pics and drawings and i'm done.

Hoping for a high band 5 - low band 6. I 'm also doing a major for DT which i'm hoping for a band 5/6 for.

Alot of work and i'd be happy with a band 5 :)

time to study for trails now

DanVY
16th August 2012, 01:45 AM
Finished completely, felt so good to walk away this afternoon knowing it was all done. I ended up making the chess pieces. Once again, thanks for all your help guys :)

The Bleeder
16th August 2012, 09:08 AM
Daniel,

No matter what mark you get well done :2tsup:.

Thankyou for showing your work to us all here.

Best of luck for you trials.

Just remember ...don't forget us. Drop in now and then and let us know how your getting on.

DanVY
16th August 2012, 10:01 AM
Cheers mate!

Yeah i will without a doubt. I got the site bookmarked and well, i've already got some little projects in my heads. My dad has some basic tools here, heaps of Tassy Oak, i know an uncle that has a Lathe, hmmmmmmmmm :D

artme
24th August 2012, 08:21 PM
A good solid looking piece. Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

DanVY
11th September 2012, 09:49 PM
A good solid looking piece. Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Thanks mate :)

Keen to get my marks back, got 70% for my woodwork trail but hoping for more in the actual HSC