PDA

View Full Version : Cutters for HM-50

woodfast
17th May 2012, 11:03 PM
:UThe other day sunday went to local market and found a sutton end mill size 1 1/8 with threaded end for sale $30.00 dollars I think it is new the fella said that he had it said he found it in his grandfather;s shed he thought it was a tool for a router it's in the the plastic case I gave him the price he wanted, would this be to big for HM-50, still no mill yet but I seem to be finding tools for it . David

Stustoys
17th May 2012, 11:13 PM
Hi David,
Is it a straight shank or does it step down to 1"?
ER40 goes to 1"

Stuart

Ueee
17th May 2012, 11:17 PM
:UThe other day sunday went to local market and found a sutton end mill size 1 1/8 with threaded end for sale $30.00 dollars I think it is new the fella said that he had it said he found it in his grandfather;s shed he thought it was a tool for a router it's in the the plastic case I gave him the price he wanted, would this be to big for HM-50, still no mill yet but I seem to be finding tools for it . David

If you can fit it in a chuck, then it will be o.k, your limited in size with the mill by its lowest speed. I think you could get away with a 40mm dia HSS cutter, and about 120-150mm in carbide.

Ewan

Dave J
18th May 2012, 01:25 AM
You will have no problems using that with a HM52, it will just be holding it.

Dave

eskimo
18th May 2012, 08:59 AM
yep..NT30 - ER40 collet and holder will do the trick....i think:rolleyes:

woodfast
18th May 2012, 10:38 AM
:)Yes it steps down to one inch shank threaded on end for a clarkson type collet

Stustoys
18th May 2012, 11:18 AM
Unless you are lucky a second hand 1" clarkson is going to cost more than new ER40. I dont recall seeing a 1" clarkson with a 30 taper on it.(but being as I've likely only seen 2 doz in my life that might not mean much). Thinking about it some more, while the ER collets have worked fine on the small cutters I've used would*, 1 1/8" be asking to much?

Stuart

*I think 16mm is the biggest cutter I have used in an ER collet and I'm pretty sure that was in wood

Ueee
18th May 2012, 11:38 AM
Unless you are lucky a second hand 1" clarkson is going to cost more than new ER40. I dont recall seeing a 1" clarkson with a 30 taper on it.(but being as I've likely only seen 2 doz in my life that might not mean much). Thinking about it some more, while the ER collets have worked fine on the small cutters I've used would*, 1 1/8" be asking to much?

Stuart

*I think 16mm is the biggest cutter I have used in an ER collet and I'm pretty sure that was in wood

Ive used a 32mm carbide insert cutter in an er40 collet now worries.

Ewan