PDA

View Full Version : New Project - The Burglar Buster

Ozkaban
18th May 2012, 01:12 PM
This is somewhat tongue in cheek, but I came across this on the web and thought it would interest a few here.

Called the 'Burglar Buster' - looks like a normal side table until some miscreant decides they want your stuff more than they're entitled to.

Now, I don't advocate actually *using* something like this, but it's a woodturning project and it's gotta go somewhere :D

Cheers,
Dave

TTIT
18th May 2012, 01:52 PM
T'would be just my luck to jump out of bed and put the bottom spike right through me foot!! :C I think I'd just move if I lived in a neighbourhood that needed that sort of thing. :shrug:

dai sensei
18th May 2012, 07:28 PM
I haven't considered a shield, but I certainly have a few small bats strategically placed around the house :rolleyes:

Heilander
18th May 2012, 11:14 PM
MMMM I have a few bats floating around my belfry too lol :D

dr4g0nfly
19th May 2012, 06:30 AM
An interesting concept but maybe more suited to some countries where beating the burglars to [near] death is more acceptable! :no:

Christos
19th May 2012, 02:32 PM
Would it not be easy just to walk away. Good project thou.

Pagie
19th May 2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry why should you walk away? This is for protection in your own home. In my oppinion if someone breaks into my home they need to disapear. No need to get the police involved. Someone threatens my family I will hit them with what ever I have. No more being kind to burgulars.

Pagie
19th May 2012, 05:13 PM
Maybe I need more coffee.

A Duke
19th May 2012, 11:33 PM
If you arm your self it is premeditated. If you just pick up an ordinary table it would be defence but if you dismantle it into a fully fledged armery you would have a problem proving you had not planed it.

Pagie
20th May 2012, 04:24 PM
That is only a problem if the body is found.

bsrlee
21st May 2012, 12:49 AM
The shield design is very poor, good way to get broken/dislocated fingers. Better to use a real baseball bat with both hands, they stand up in the corner or lie under the bed quite well, even some of the foam bats will leave a body feeling very stiff & sore.

Paddywack
21st May 2012, 01:04 AM
I don't want to cause a stir but if you catch a burglar and you haven't had a heart attack from the shock why shouldn't you just give him a couple of licks with a Baseball bat, you don't have to kill him/her just put the fear of Christ into him/her and put some manners on them.
Regards
Victim of a theft.....

_fly_
21st May 2012, 01:36 AM
Thought I had burglars once, heard the dog barking in the middle of the night.
Got out of bed, took spear gun out of cupboard, loaded it and walked into the kitchen were the noise was. Nearly shot the neighbours cat that was sitting on kitchen bench bailed up by the dog. That was one lucky cat.....

Ozkaban
21st May 2012, 02:02 PM
I haven't considered a shield, but I certainly have a few small bats strategically placed around the house :rolleyes:

MMMM I have a few bats floating around my belfry too lol :D

Reminded me that one Christmas my brother bought the Piņata over (a family Christmas tradition). Each year we try and outdo the previous year by making it tougher to break. It reached the point long ago of having a separate one for the kids 'cos they couldn't make a dent. Anyway, this particular year my brother announces that nothing is getting through this one. So I headed out to the lathe and grabbed a piece of hardwood that I found on kerbside 75mm sq and about 7-800 long and whipped up a fearsome bat - man is it heavy. In the battle between Piņata and bat, bat won pretty convincingly though not without a struggle. We have christened it the 'Family Christmas Club'.

It now rests in a convenient corner. *really* wouldn't want to get clubbed by it...

tea lady
21st May 2012, 03:29 PM
:think: Candelabras would make quite good weapons too. And suitably disguised as a household object! :D

hughie
27th May 2012, 09:38 AM
Heres my preferance a Zulu iwisa, length around 30", ball 3" or 76cm and 7.5cm. They are collectors items these days if you get an original.