PDA

View Full Version : Glue Staining when oiling - prevention

hereward
18th May 2012, 11:37 PM
Hello

I have a problem when gluing, even with good housekeeping I get glue in unwanted places on the timber and the oil I use does not like glue. Somewhere I have seen something to apply to timber not to be contaminated with glue.

Does anyone know about this?

Many thanks

Hereward

IanW
24th May 2012, 09:00 AM
Hi hereward, not getting too many suggestions from the crowd on this one, they must be distracted by other things!

The most reliable & easiset way I know for limiting glue marks is to apply some paste wax around the joint. This is best done with joint dry-assembled, if possible, so as not to get any of it in the joint itself. If any glue squeezes out during assembly, just leave it to harden, then cut it away with a sharp knife or scraper. The glue won't penetrate or stick to the waxed areas and the wax is compatible with oil, so won't leave marks.

Masking tape can be helpful at times, but it's not very convenient in a lot of situations, and unless it's applied very carefully, liquids can bleed under the stuff (DAMHIK!).

Cheers,

AlexS
24th May 2012, 09:26 AM
Sorry, didn't see your question before. I second what IanW suggested.
After sanding, I use a coat of shellac as sanding sealer , then sand back lightly again. Dry assemble, then paste wax (the cheapest floor wax you can find is fine). After the glue is dry, the squeeze-out is easily removed. I then clean up the residual wax with white spirits, which doesn't effect the shellac or glue.