PDA

View Full Version : dead yellow box

ziggybarnes
21st May 2012, 07:08 PM
Hi all

I'm taking down a dead yellow box next week. What would best to do with it? Slab it, make fence posts or floor boards? How much would a 3 meter slab be worth?
Cheers

Sigidi
21st May 2012, 09:08 PM
Slabs can be up to $4,000 per cubic metre Ziggy, depends a lot on size, species, quality tho.

How wide would the slabs be, how thick will they be cut, how will they be cut(ie, will they be an even thickness side to side and end to end!!) how green are they (green should be cheaper than seasoned - although 'some' sell them for the same price :()

tassietimbers
21st May 2012, 10:29 PM
Hi Ziggy

In my experience, yellow box suffers from ring-shake badly, and even if the slabs look good off the saw, they split along the shakes. Very hard to dry straight, and very hard on the chains. I wasted a few weekends in my earlier milling days slabbing yellow box, only to end up with a lot of small chopping boards. I have found they mill better into smaller stock, like 150 x 50, then dock the shakes out as they appear. Some others may have better uses and/or different techniques on recovering usable product. That's only what I've found over the years.

Cheers

James:2tsup:

rustynail
21st May 2012, 11:52 PM
I'd be cutting fence posts or scantling. Slabs and flooring will break your heart. Any offcuts make top firewood.

Lumber Bunker
22nd May 2012, 01:21 AM
I just spent the weekend splitting two tonnes of yellow box. Burns pretty cleanly.
I've used a bit for a vice jaw, and made a hand plan form it once. Heavy interlocked and it doesn't even look that good.

Burn it.

ziggybarnes
22nd May 2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys

Once I take the tree down the log i'll be taking will be about 3 meters and 30" across for pretty much most of the 3 meters. It is totaly dead and been dead for a long time. It looks pretty solid doesn't look like there'll be much moisture if any. I'm just hopeing it doesn't have mud guts!!

Bushmiller
22nd May 2012, 07:23 PM
I have only cut one yellow box. It had fallen in a storm. After a couple hours of wrestling with it trying to recover some useable timber I had to tell the property owner that we wasting our time. That's not to say you can't recover some good timber from a sound log.

The box eucalypts are as tough as anything out there. I have been told that the professional firewood cutters steer clear of them because of the havoc they wreak with the chainsaw.

Let us see some pix if you get the opportunity.

Regards
Paul

Acco
22nd May 2012, 07:31 PM
If it has fiddleback, it is worth milling, love the stuff.

Have milled a log or two.

This one here isn't from my timber but I did deliver it for Bowerbird

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=306311139448166&set=a.105348466211102.12180.102790923133523&type=1

rustynail
22nd May 2012, 10:39 PM
I have only cut one yellow box. It had fallen in a storm. After a couple hours of wrestling with it trying to recover some useable timber I had to tell the property owner that we wasting our time. That's not to say you can't recover some good timber from a sound log.

The box eucalypts are as tough as anything out there. I have been told that the professional firewood cutters steer clear of them because of the havoc they wreak with the chainsaw.

Let us see some pix if you get the opportunity.

Regards
Paul
That is the case for most box species but not yellow box. It is a favourite for fire wood in the central west of NSW. Makes bloody good fence posts too.