PDA

View Full Version : reverse mod for jet mini lathe

mkypenturner
21st May 2012, 10:58 PM
hi guys
been playing around turning some mushrooms and thought that it i could reverse my lathe i could be on other side of lathe but be able to get a nice curve and finish on them
its a jet 1014
can it be modified to have reverse and how can i do it safely ???
if anybody has done this can they post a pic or 2 as well

Paul39
22nd May 2012, 12:32 PM
hi guys
been playing around turning some mushrooms and thought that it i could reverse my lathe i could be on other side of lathe but be able to get a nice curve and finish on them
its a jet 1014

I turn mushrooms on a larger lathe, 350mm swing, and don't have a problem getting a nice curve with the cap toward or away from the headstock. I do leave about 25mm from the drive center to the top of the cap to have room for a bowl gouge.

A motor shop could bring out 4 wires from your motor and put a double pole double throw switch on it for reversing. Then you would have to have set screws put on your chuck and face plate to keep them from unwinding in reverse. If you use a drive center, you may need to get one for driving in reverse or regrind one to bite in the opposite direction.

orificiam
22nd May 2012, 08:57 PM
hi guys
its a jet 1014

Hello Troy, to get reverse on my Woodfast M305 I just twist the belt in a figure
8, the belt on the my lathe is just long enough to be able to do it.

Cheers Tony.:)

turnerted
24th May 2012, 03:55 PM
Why don't you just start off turning your mushrooms between centres with the cap towards the headstock . Undercut the cap , then take it out of the lathe and reverse it mounting it in a chuck or between centres then finish off the cap . I do it all between centres .With a bit of practice you can do it with virtualy no hand sanding .
Ted

wheelinround
24th May 2012, 05:36 PM
I downloaded these ages ago Cliff Rogers I believe has done his Jet I still have not.

mkypenturner
24th May 2012, 09:55 PM
Why don't you just start off turning your mushrooms between centres with the cap towards the headstock . Undercut the cap , then take it out of the lathe and reverse it mounting it in a chuck or between centres then finish off the cap . I do it all between centres .With a bit of practice you can do it with virtualy no hand sanding .
Ted
:oo: ha ha stupid me why didnt i think of the most easyist idea :doh: after all how many times do we all turn and rechuck stuff :no:
and thanks for the pdf's
will have to try and con my elecy uncle to have a go next time he visits
the only thing different is that mines a povo pack 5 speed unit not vario :( with only a on off swith oppisite end of lathe