PDA

View Full Version : band clamps

dave_c
22nd May 2012, 09:22 AM
Can anyone offer advise on clamping up boxes and small cabinets with mitred corners, are those framers/band clamps the way to go? i see there are two type on the market one with a steel band and one with webbing. Do they give enough pressure on the joint for things bigger then picture frames?
Thanks

Jerry Thompson
22nd May 2012, 12:01 PM
I am in the USA, but look at the web clamps. If they have a ratcheting device to tension the straps they would work well. Here we have Poney brand and that is what I use.

AlexS
22nd May 2012, 12:32 PM
The ones with steel bands work well on anything up to their maximum capacity. You don't need to apply too much force or you will squeeze all the glue out. I haven't used the Bessey ones with fabric straps, but they should work well too. Ratchet tie-down straps work well with larger cabinets, but can be used for smaller boxes as well.

Da bunny lover
22nd May 2012, 07:30 PM
o

Superbunny
22nd May 2012, 10:33 PM
I use the bessey ones from Marsters as they are cheaper than buying from a woodwork supplier. They work great and you can get some good pressure. I use hide glue as you have more time and the parts can be moved into place before the glue goes off. There can be a bit of mucking about to set up at times:D:D

SB