PDA

View Full Version : carbide handle

redturner
22nd May 2012, 11:11 AM
can any one tell me what is the average steel used in making a carbide tool handle is mild steel ok, i know it cant be to hard of steel because you have to drill and tap it, or is their some where you can buy a cheap or used handles, thanks steve:2tsup:

dai sensei
22nd May 2012, 07:51 PM
I used stainless steel - I assume you are referring to the shaft, rather than the handle

hughie
22nd May 2012, 07:54 PM
Steve,

Mild steel will do, a lot depends on what your going to do with your carbide tool. Ie deep hollowing would require a very stiff bar either by thickness or type and grade of steel

There many variations or types of steel available that are much stiffer than mild steel. Here in Sydney we have Edcon Steel who will cut to any length anything from thier product range and also maintain a off cut bin. The offcut bin is sold per kilo and is by far the best price.

A few different types off the top of my head would be 1045 or 4140 and for 20mm round it would $10-15 per metre. 4140 comes in a ground finish which would cost a little more. These two steels make very good turning bars with 4140 being the most stiff of the pair.

I use alot of stainless as its very stiff, but it can be pricey especially if you using 316 grade as opposed to 304 a more common but softer grade.

issatree
22nd May 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi All,
It makes me laugh a little, as I make Wooden Knitting Needles, Crochet Hooks, etc, to help the Ladies get rid of their Steel Needles Etc, to help them from getting Arthritis,

Here are some of you all wanting to use Metal Handles, with most likely, the same thing may happen to you.

They are Colder, no Molding to take hold of, & I would think, No Warmth like a piece of Wood to Grip.
You most likely have to do up Grub Screws as well, to hold the Turning Chisel in.

Just a thought.

TTIT
22nd May 2012, 11:05 PM
There's a mob in Ballarat that sell stainless offcuts at really good prices too - but I can't remember their name - big help that will be!!!:B

redturner
23rd May 2012, 12:48 PM
thanks for the quick responce all answers helped me a lot :U