PDA

View Full Version : Tip Needed

adeben
22nd May 2012, 12:14 PM
I have a very old pyro machine of French origin.
It still works perfectly well, and I don't use it much. However the tip has failed (burnt out?), and I need a new one.

Is this type still available? If so, where? Alternatively, who would be able to repair (rewire?) the tip?
Thanks for any help.

David Stanley
22nd May 2012, 04:23 PM
It's a bit hard to see how the tip functions from these photos. It seems to be a heated wire type rather that the solid point type. So you could buy some high resistance wire sold for making your own tips. This is very cheap and if you can find a way to attach it, fine.

Alternatively check the voltage and current against, say a Razor Tip machine and if they are the same, you could get an electrical repairer to connect a jack with the polarity right, so you can attach a hand piece from that compatible make. I use a razor tip pen attached to an Iron Core Machine. It's simple to wire on but I got an electrician to do it as my electronic knowledge, I figured, would lead to a fifty-fifty success or spectacular failure. That is you want the tip to heat up not the machine.

adeben
22nd May 2012, 08:49 PM
The tip is a piece of solid steel with a wire coiled around it. I suspect it would be easy enough to rewire the coil, but the coil, which glows red when the machine is operating, is insulated from the tip by what looks like mica tape, and this insulation is damaged and would need replacement. Jaycar might be my next stop.