PDA

View Full Version : redgum????

hughie
22nd May 2012, 06:07 PM
I picked this some time ago from where I cant remember and it was marked redgum. Smelled like it and turned some what like it as well. But all my redgum has been a bit redder than this.

Stands 6.5" tall by 4" dia Finished with DO or 15.5cm x 10cm

tea lady
22nd May 2012, 06:37 PM
:hmm: Yes. Not very red is it. I have had pretty light red gum, but not that light. :shrug: Nice piece anyway.:cool:

smiife
22nd May 2012, 08:09 PM
very nice hughie,
doesn't look like redgum,but it does look very good what ever it is!!!! :cool:
well done
cheers smiife :2tsup:

powderpost
22nd May 2012, 08:35 PM
You are getting a handle on these spiral form Hughie. :2tsup: Looks good. Can't help you with the I.D. there isn't much red gum up this way. :)
Jim

TTIT
22nd May 2012, 11:02 PM
Nice looking piece Hughie :2tsup::2tsup: Keep going and you'll be cutting threads on them before long :;
Nothing like any Redgum I've come across . . but the yanks call Liquidambar Redgum or Sweetgum - could it be a chunk of that :think:

dr4g0nfly
22nd May 2012, 11:07 PM
Hughie, as always a great looking piece.

Are you dreaming of these spirals yet, they seem to have taken over your waking hours.

As for Redgum, don't have any of that over here so I can't say either way what it is.

wheelinround
23rd May 2012, 09:47 AM
Hughie a nice piece spiral show off the colour well could it be a branch cambian bit of Red Gum?

Wood Nut
23rd May 2012, 01:53 PM
What a beautiful job Hughie. I'm envious but can't help with the timber, although it looks great.
Look forward to catching up soon.
Cheers

Skewturn
23rd May 2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Hughie, That looks awesome and I like the spiral. How did you do the spirals.
Cheers Skewturn

kcam
23rd May 2012, 09:32 PM
:aro-u:What Skewturn said:2tsup::2tsup:

thumb trimmer
23rd May 2012, 10:18 PM
Looks great Neil.

turnerted
24th May 2012, 03:33 PM
What ever it is Hughie it looks great.
Ted

hughie
24th May 2012, 06:00 PM
[ That looks awesome and I like the spiral. How did you do the spirals.]

Here you go, from my previous efforts

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/camphor-laurel-spiral-144696/

and

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/another-one-145812/

kcam
24th May 2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks hughie, I missed your first postings, great stuff.....cheers Kerry

Kidbee
24th May 2012, 07:23 PM
Hughie, I think that is a classy piece, up there with the likes of Liam Flynn. Like Liam you have great form and the spirals seem to be signature pieces.

hughie
26th May 2012, 06:03 PM
spirals seem to be signature pieces

Not sure I want go down that road all the way, but we will see.

well could it be a branch cambian bit of Red Gum?

Yeah that thought occurred to me as well Ray.

Might cart it around when I go visiting to see if anybody get a better ID with a close viewing.

Skewturn
26th May 2012, 10:23 PM
Hi Hughie

Thanks for the extra threads with the instructions.:2tsup: Just one question I couldnt understand how you marked the starting lines on your work with the compass.
Cheers Skewturn

thompy
26th May 2012, 11:25 PM
forgive me if i may skew, this is how i picture it with what i saw.

1. toolrest at a height to mark off the indexing, just using a pencil to mark the mouth of the bowl at each head (or chuck) indexing point. not moving the pencil at all just turning the work and marking the points as the work turns.

2. in the pics the compass is quite large if you look at the pencil size as a reference, so using its unpencilled point at a fixed point on the bed or locked toolrest at the side of the work, or at a fixed point above it even, you could swing the pencil through an arc over the work using your original indexing marks at the mouth of the bowl as a starting point for each arc.

3. the position of the fixed leg would remain constant, your starting index marks remain constant, and you need only turn the work to the next index mark to create the spiral, if the compass angle changes so will the spirals and also the works general shape will change them too.

not positive about this, but thats how i'd approach it, made sence to me, hope it helps.

Neal.

PS: Hughie, not sure of the wood, its very lovely though, thanks also for the WIP links an pics, and very very nice, well done.

hughie
27th May 2012, 09:24 AM
[

not positive about this, but thats how i'd approach it, made sence to me, hope it helps.

Neal.

:U Nice try but its much more simple. I use the 24 standard indexing stop set up on the Woodfast. This gives me my start and of course finish and depending where you place the stationary leg of the compass will effect the arc. Then you simply scribe an arc from one end to the other of the bowl/hollow vessel etc.

The curve that you see is a result of the shape of the vessel and the compass arc.:2tsup:

If you try with the rotation its then dependant on your ability to rotate exactly the same amount each time. This will work and theres a guy who does just that with his router, but he has worked out a set up of pulleys to control the rotation. I have his formula somewheres,he varies the size of the pulleys to change the rotation and advancement of the router.

Heres a link to an article I wrote on the matter it should do the trick, although I have updated the article and expanded it further since then. It will go in a ebook on this sort of stuff I am writing.

http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=517:sculpting-spirals-on-a-bowl&catid=36:turning-techniques&Itemid=57

wheelinround
27th May 2012, 10:33 AM
[

Neal.

:U Nice try but its much more simple. I use the 24 standard indexing stop set up on the Woodfast. This gives me my start and of course finish and depending where you place the stationary leg of the compass will effect the arc. Then you simply scribe an arc from one end to the other of the bowl/hollow vessel etc.

The curve that you see is a result of the shape of the vessel and the compass arc.:2tsup:

If you try with the rotation its then dependant on your ability to rotate exactly the same amount each time. This will work and theres a guy who does just that with his router, but he has worked out a set up of pulleys to control the rotation. I have his formula somewheres,he varies the size of the pulleys to change the rotation and advancement of the router.

Heres a link to an article I wrote on the matter it should do the trick, although I have updated the article and expanded it further since then. It will go in a ebook on this sort of stuff I am writing.

Sculpting Spirals On A Bowl (http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=517:sculpting-spirals-on-a-bowl&catid=36:turning-techniques&Itemid=57)

Great article Hughie well done.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Toggy
27th May 2012, 07:32 PM
Could it be West Aussie "redgum"?

Pale hardwood with red sap (gum).

Ken

Skewturn
27th May 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks Hughie

I am only a beginner but I love the look and want to have a go
cheers Skewturn

thompy
27th May 2012, 11:13 PM
Awesome Hughie you do away with my step one and don't transfer the indexing to the bowl mouth you just go straight to the arcing over the work, thanks for the clear up, makes it a lot simpler too, again mate cheers, and awesome work.

Neal.

PS: thanks also for the link, read your work and realised i had not bookmarked the site yet, another site to read up on later and safely stored in my "woodpile" in the pc folders =)

Oiliver
3rd June 2012, 02:29 PM
I realise I'm a bit late to the party on this, but I think the spiralling on this is absolutely fantastic! I love the way it counter-balances the grain, sort of turns in the opposite direction. A really pleasing to look at piece :)

francè
6th June 2012, 02:03 AM
I picked this some time ago from where I cant remember and it was marked redgum. Smelled like it and turned some what like it as well. But all my redgum has been a bit redder than this.

Stands 6.5" tall by 4" dia Finished with DO or 15.5cm x 10cm

beautiful work Hughie :2tsup: