PDA

View Full Version : Sander noise level

Arron
25th May 2012, 01:04 AM
How much noise do those air-powered random orbital sanders make - ignoring the noise made by the compressor for now ? How do they compare to an electric ROS ?

cheers
Arron

wun4us
25th May 2012, 10:44 AM
Saw a chap using an air sander in an antique restoration shop yesterday. Didn't seem to be much, if any difference to me. Seemed unusual though, a friend has an air drill and it makes a dreadfully pierciung noise in operation

FenceFurniture
25th May 2012, 10:46 AM
I can't comment on the noise Arron, but I'm told that air sanders are very, very air thirsty, so you need a pretty decent sized compressor.

Handyjack
25th May 2012, 12:59 PM
I can't comment on the noise Arron, but I'm told that air sanders are very, very air thirsty, so you need a pretty decent sized compressor.

That would make sense as you would be effectively running a turbine continuously like you would in a drill - perhaps more so. A nail gun is only using an impulse. I have been able to put in about two dozen brads with only one charge of air in the compressor, but if I was to use the blower the compressor runs continuously.

Chris Parks
25th May 2012, 11:11 PM
One issue often overlooked with air tools is that they can get very cold in the hand if used for long periods due to the air supply pulling heat out of the tool. Not a problem for short periods but I wonder if a sander might have the problem, has anyone encountered it?

FenceFurniture
25th May 2012, 11:21 PM
Good observation Chris. Sure can see that happening with a solid metal tool after being used for a while. Maybe Arron is referring to the Ceros sander, which seems to have enough lightweight plastic components (e.g. handle) to counter the heat drain.

Arron
26th May 2012, 08:01 AM
No, I was hadnt considered the cold problem. I was just thinking how to make a small gain in the ongoing problem of neighbours and noise. Doesnt sound like this is the way to go though.
thanks for the replies
Arron

Chris Parks
26th May 2012, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't dismiss it that quickly. I like air tools and use them before powered ones any day of the week. They can't burn out or get so hot you have trouble holding them, no cords to get damaged etc. You can stall an air drill and all it does is hiss air and suffer no problems no matter how long it is stalled for as there is no smake in the wires to escape. On the other hand they require fairly large compressors which are not cheap or multiple smaller compressors which is not something generally considered. This gives an advantage of only using one compressor for small air usage and fire up another to supplement large usage. Air tools these days are fairly well muffled or can be to lower the exhaust noise though it is only usually the high speed drills that cause the main concern.

elanjacobs
28th May 2012, 09:07 PM
Got an air ROS at work and the short answer is 'lots of noise' I can get a noise meter and check if you like.

The best way to go for noise is the Mirka CEROS sanders, AFAIK they're the quietest out there - also one of the most expensive

Arron
29th May 2012, 12:17 PM
thanks for the reply. Dont bother measuring it - I would only be interested if the gap between noise levels was very large - not worth changing over if thats not the case.

cheers
Arron

vk4
29th May 2012, 06:14 PM
AAron,

Air tools will be nearly as noisey as power tools , and they will require 4 times the electricity drain to power the compressor that powers them,.
they are most suitable to industry , as there are fewer moving parts, and no carbon brushes to wear out.

Jeff

ian
29th May 2012, 07:26 PM
thanks for the reply. Dont bother measuring it - I would only be interested if the gap between noise levels was very large - not worth changing over if thats not the case.

cheers
Arronhi Arron, if you check the Fine Woodworking archives you should be able to find their ROS tool tests. IIRC one of the things they report on is noise. Again, IIRC, some sanders are a lot less noisy than the bunch. also the noise measure is logarithmic, so a 3db noise difference represents a doubling of noise