PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3000

Rod
28th July 2000, 10:12 PM
Picked up my new Nova 3000 last weekend only to find when I got it home I could not change the belt. Contacted the Australian warranty agent on Monday, he was very helpfull and posted me a new part for what we presumed was faulty. However I now have real reservations about Tecknatool as the problem was a faulty casting that should not have past a quality control inspection and despite emailing Tecknatool last weekend I have still not received a reply from them.

John Saxton
15th August 2000, 08:51 PM
G'day Rod,sorry to hear about your troubles mate.I have been contemplating upgrading my lathe now for some time and have still to make up my mind.You have done me the favour of deleting one model from my list.
One of the dedicated tool shops that I use have given what can only be described as the Industrial raspberry to Teknatool http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif for their quality and service backup.Apparently they're concentrating (to the detriment of their local markets)on the bigger picture in the good ol' USA and Europe to the extent that even part replacement takes too mucn time,and who can afford to have an important piece of gear gathering dust rather than making it in their shop!!
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/mad.gif

------------------
Johnno

RFNK
15th August 2000, 11:43 PM
Well your experiences with Teknatool are very different to mine. I've found their service and quality to be excellent. I have a TL1500 and lots of bits of Teknatool/Nova gear to go with it. I've never had any trouble with any of it and I've always been able to obtain bits and pieces very quickly, even out here in Woopwoop!

John Saxton
16th August 2000, 08:19 PM
If I can add an additional perspective to my other response I will admit that whilst over in NZ on a holiday some years ago I went out to the Teknatool factory in Auckland and they were very helpful in my purchase tax free of a Nova Chuck and accessories.
It was some 18months ago that I had to change my belt and the whole headstock was out of commission for some three months!!
To my way of thinking something sadly is missing whether it's the Oz agent or their service to their onselling agents but for me one bad experience and they don't get my money again.
Cheers and have a good day

------------------
Johnno

Jim Carroll
16th August 2000, 11:56 PM
John everybody has got a bad luck story regarding tools and machinery they own, but that does not stop them from purchasing an updated model of the tool they were using. Sure there are lemons in all brands but for 1 lemon they get thousands of satisfied customers. I hope that whatever you get to replace the lathe lives up to your expectations and the aftersales service is second to none as we all know some brands dont carry spares in Aus and you have to wait months for the offending part which in most cases could be sourced elsewhere.I know for a fact that Teknatool have picked up their game and are dealing direct with their distributors so there should be less down time with warranty repairs and replacements.

Rod
17th August 2000, 10:38 AM
Now that I have my Nova 3000 up and running I am pretty happy with it. I think it was good value for money. The Australian service agent certainly got a new part to me very quickly and he tells me he keeps all spares in stock. Still this was a manufacturing fault and should never have past a quality control inspection. I never did receive a response from Tecknatool as to why the unit was faulty.

Jim mentioned that Tecknatool now deal directly with their Australian distributors and this is what my supplier has told me. He said the service is much better. Has anyone looked at their web site lately. A complete revamp. Gone are the American links.

A couple of suggestions for anyone contemplating a Nova 3000. It is not possible to get a normal spanner (not enough clearance)onto the Nova chuck to remove the chuck from the lathe if it binds tightly as it will when using a large blank. Tecknatool make a special spanner for this, it doesn't come with the lathe or chuck and I wouldn't have known anything about it if I hadn't seen a reference to it on the news.woodturning.rec newsgroup. My dealer was not aware of its existance. For $18 it saves a lot of frustration.

Second thing is the mickey mouse on/off switch. After having to lean across a disintergrating burl to turn the lather off I mounted an auxillary switch in a better position.

Despite these early frustrations am now happy with the lathe and as I said at the beginning think it was good value for money compared to other lathes available.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has converted one to variable speed or knows anything about this subject.

Cheers, Rod

John Saxton
17th August 2000, 09:59 PM
Gentlemen, my criticisms may have sounded overly harsh and perhaps not really necessary in this forum.Whilst they were directed towards the servicing areas I have no doubt that Teknatool make a fine product and that is evident,in that they continue to grow within the market-place.
I stand by my complaint at the time some many years back the time that I was without a utility within my workplace,that left me in no mind to support the product should it come to replacing same.I hear what you are saying Jim and you others that may well endorse a good product that is to your liking.
I am in the process of upgrading and for mine I am looking at other avenues.Without prejudice now,in as much as I am looking for a heavier machine perhaps a Durden.
Cheers

------------------
Johnno

Roly
19th August 2000, 12:19 AM
Rod,

There is a felow here in the ACT who has his on display and works with variable speed. I don't know him personally but can find his company name if you want.

I find my lathe a magnificent piece of equipment.

Roly

ubeaut
23rd August 2000, 10:59 PM
Rod
Try using a matal, perspex or nylon washer between the headstock and the chuck and it will never bind again. A trick from Ron Day Australian service agent for Teknatool. I never use a chuck without one.

Rod
24th August 2000, 10:13 AM
Ron Day is certainly very knowledgable and helpfull. When he found out about the problem he had a replacement part to me in an overnight bag.

Thanks for the tip about the washer. One of those things that sounds so simple and logical when you hear about it.

Roly, thanks for the response re variable speed. It was just a general inquiry to see if anyone had any experience of it. The more I use the Nova the simpler the belt changing seems to be.

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 24 August 2000).]