PDA

View Full Version : make a v block without a table saw

Tiger
27th May 2012, 10:19 AM
I need to make up a couple of v blocks to line the jaws of my drill press so that I can drill pen blanks accurately. The easy way would be to use a table saw and set the blade at 45 degrees and run it through a couple of times to get the v cut, however I don't have a table saw. I do have the Triton workcentre but my saw stays permanently under the base as
I have aligned it carefully and don't want to move it to overhead mode. The blocks would only be 75 by 25 mm so that makes it a little difficult to hold on a SCMS. I tried to do this on a bandsaw holding the wood upright but the blade seemed to flex a bit so the cut was not consistent throughout. My router table is not working as well as it should so that's out of action for the moment so can't use that either.I'm sure there must be an easier way to do this but I can't think of how, any ideas?

1canetoad
27th May 2012, 12:06 PM
Handsaw and then pare to the line with chisels

NCArcher
27th May 2012, 12:22 PM
Cut the 'V', on the SCMS, on a larger piece of wood then trim the piece down to size.
Alternatively a 45° router bit could do the trick. Again, run a 45° trench on a larger board then rip off pieces the correct size.

crowie
27th May 2012, 12:35 PM
G'day Tiger.
I had made a couple of timber vee blocks but never satified with them.
So I bought a couple of 65mm steel vee blocks from Hare & Forbes for my toymaking.
Use them mainly on the drill press, work great..
Cheers, Crowie

Khargoosh
27th May 2012, 07:05 PM
Not sure if it applies to your situation, but I would rather prefer to drill prior to turning the blank.

You've got a drill press, why not try boring a hole sized correctly for your turned blank in a piece of timber. On the adjacent side, mark and drill the location of the hole you want in your blank. Then insert and clamp the blank across the bore to secure in position, and drill the blank through the jig. Then you can drill as many blanks as you like, with relatively good consistency across the lot.

Cheers mate.

Tiger
28th May 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Canetoad, love to be able to do it accurately, have tried but difficult to get perfectly accurate and it needs to be very accurate.

Archer may be the best solution.

Crowie, know your frustration, metal v-blocks may be the solution for me too.

Khargoosh, not sure I understand your solution completely.