PDA

View Full Version : Cameleon bowl

Sturdee
27th May 2012, 03:44 PM
Inspired by Cliff Rogers, Dai sensei and at the recent Glitterfest (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cliff-invading-forum-gtg-149340/)I tried making a decorated bowl.

It has been an interesting experience and I had to alter the shape and size of the bowl a number of times as the earlier attempts at colouring were woeful and re turned until the final shape it's in now. Hence the name.:D

The finished size is 180 * 60mm and the inside is coloured with Ubeaut's stain and the inlay band is crushed stone (as per the instructions of Pop's Shed (http://www.popsshed.com.au/documents/uploaded/Stone%20Inlay%20in%20Wood.pdf)) and finished with shellawax.

209811 209812 209813

Enjoy.

Peter.

wheelinround
27th May 2012, 04:18 PM
Pete tis Irish bowl to be sure:let:

nz_carver
27th May 2012, 04:28 PM
I can see the cliff and in that bolwing but can see the Dai sensei
As there's no glitter in it? :D

Nice work mate :2tsup:

Sturdee
27th May 2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys.

Dave, Dai sensei's inspiration was in relation to the inlay, he reminded me of a club demo on stone inlay by Chris of Pop's shed that I saw about 18 months ago.

At each of the forum get togethers at I learn something new, this time to have the courage to try colouring and inlays to enhance the turning, so now we are collecting nuts, glitter and stone dust for more adventurous work.

Peter.

Skewturn
27th May 2012, 05:24 PM
:2tsup:Nice work You were a bit more successful that I was at embellishing. :doh:I was practising on a pine platter. I attacked it with an angle grinder around the rim then painted gold then sand back slightly to wipe on some ebenizing fluid which gives a blackening effect around the paint on tht timber. I need more practise but yours looks great. Thanks to our teacher NTurners for expanding our finishing techniques.
Cheers Skewturn

Sturdee
27th May 2012, 05:39 PM
I like yours too, and I agree that I need more practice as well. But it's fun and enjoyable. :U

Peter.

dr4g0nfly
28th May 2012, 07:46 AM
That's some GREEN! very bright almost metallic.

You tell us everything except what the wood is and I know the Sq Rt of Sodd All about your timbers, so help me out a little please.

Well done on the efforts you mention to achieve the piece, you've probably leant more in the efforts that if you'd got it 'right' first go.

Sturdee
28th May 2012, 11:24 AM
You tell us everything except what the wood is and I know the Sq Rt of Sodd All about your timbers, so help me out a little please.

Sorry but I don't know what the wood is.

Got it from a fellow turner who didn't know either but didn't like it as it had a few worm holes in it. Hence good for practicing by me.

Peter.